What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Some of the work we do in our shop to support Sub Sea Completions, in the oilfield we fabricate spools for pipeline tie ins and repairs, recently we were in Venezuela installing a 31in x 68ft x 1.750 wall spool piece that weighted 65T, I was asked to fabricate (4ea) what is known as a flange catcher, this is a plate that will index into the flange holes with round stock(1-15/16 x 1018CR) and extend past the end of the flange (2ft) with 1in x 12in A36 plate in order to rest the new spool on to for draw in and assembly, attached are some of the fab photos
Flange Catcher Root.jpg
Flange Catcher Root.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

:mrgreen: Pretty cool, I like all the different applications we have on here. Looks like a double bevel on the plate, open root TIG?

Welcome to the forum, when you have time hope over to the new member section and introduce yourself.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi HeavyDiver
"Welcome aboard" - so to speak
Only found one photo but would be keen to see more!
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Sorry

Getting use to posting photos, have a few more, after the tig root brought it to 250F and hot filled it out with 10018HR4, haven't had any weld problems yet
Attachments
Flange Catcher Hot Pass.jpg
Flange Catcher Hot Pass.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Flange Catcher Hot Pass Completed.jpg
Flange Catcher Hot Pass Completed.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Wow, real nice for sure. I'm impressed
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

That is some sweet looking work.

Kym
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

HeavyDiver, are those pins beveled/tapered, like a bull-pin or barrel-pin? I would assume so, but it's difficult to tell with the perspective of the pictures.

Also, does that become a permanent installation, or is it only present until longer alignment pins, cables, all-threads (I've not done that work, so I'm not sure what's appropriate) can be installed to pull the joint together, then removed?

You've got my curiosity up!

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:HeavyDiver, are those pins beveled/tapered, like a bull-pin or barrel-pin? I would assume so, but it's difficult to tell with the perspective of the pictures.

Also, does that become a permanent installation, or is it only present until longer alignment pins, cables, all-threads (I've not done that work, so I'm not sure what's appropriate) can be installed to pull the joint together, then removed?

You've got my curiosity up!

Steve S
Otto

These are temporary, we place 1ea at 8 o'clock and 1ea at 4 o'clock on the flange on bottom, then the spool is lowered down and the catchers act as a support to rest the spool onto for alignment and assembly, the ends are tapered slightly and they are the same as a bull pin, once the flanges are assembled they are removed and reused, also added the cutting of the parts with our track torch, this was a 20ft section of 1" x 12" A36 each section is 48" in length and weighing 160lb
Attachments
Flange Catcher Track Torch.jpg
Flange Catcher Track Torch.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Very nice looking bead