What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
danb
    Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 am

I recently had my high school Welding 1 students make the 2" dice project. We used 11 ga. mild steel, however, I had them strengthen their O/A gas welding skills with this one. It worked out great and the kids got the hang of it much faster than I thought they would. I had them use MIG for this last year and these first year students gained more frustration out of it than anything. I try to have welding students do projects that will challenge them along with tasting success/satisfaction.
The picture I attached is a die I made out of aluminum. I will have the advanced welders try this one with GTAW.
Attachments
Dice.jpg
Dice.jpg (123.21 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

That is cool! I have one uncompleted laying around somewhere. That is a good project for students. Are you going to tell them to drill at least one hole before they try to weld it shut or let them find out what happens when you don't? :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I want to do a mild steel one with ss filler. Because I can.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I would drill the holes first if I was making them, but there might be a lesson there for the more advanced students to let them weld them up before they drill them. Some of them are going to have to learn how to close a sealed box without it getting a blow hole in their career in welding.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm stealing this project. We never get to do projects. Just welding the joints on strips of steel but I'm usually done with 3 sets of them before class is half over. I'll start on one of these but TIG weld it instead of Oxy.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.

Diesel,

I just have to comment on your sig line -- Truer words were never spoken.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks. Cant stand most of todays music in general and I'm growing up in it. Gotta stick to when they actually used instruments...
Country isn't country unless it's classic.

Yeah, what's passed off as country now just sounds like adult contemporary with the occasional pedal steel lick thrown in.

I grew up when country was truly country and don't listen to much of anything else. Some 50s rock now and then, and some good Irish music once in a while. But >90% country -- of the classic persuasion.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ldbtx wrote:Yeah, what's passed off as country now just sounds like adult contemporary with the occasional pedal steel lick thrown in....
Oh. You mean "Hick-Hop"?

"Nashville Pop"?

And these stations have the balls to call it "country"...

Agree 100%

Steve S
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

I like the dice, cool project.
I also like Hank Williams ;)
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Diesel wrote:Thanks. Cant stand most of todays music in general and I'm growing up in it. Gotta stick to when they actually used instruments...
I like red dirt country. Whiskey Myers, Ryan Bingham, Turnpike Troubadours, etc. Along with the good stuff, Waylon is my favorite.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press