What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Mikechallgren
    Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 pm

My current project is a B747-8 aircraft model. Just started and have a few hours left until completion. Note in the photos, I'm using a "Tig Finger". The slab of steel I use to keep things straight gets too hot to touch...not anymore.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Mike the wire airplane guy http://www.wiresculptor.net
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Mikechallgren

An F4U Corsair sculpture
An F4U Corsair sculpture
image.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
I haven't got the idea how to respond to posts, quotes on this forum...but...I will at some point.

The How: I use 3 view drawings. From those drawings I make ratios from the real aircraft to my model. My sculptures are not to scale, but are proportionally correct. I start with the profile view and make the profile using (usually) 3/32, R45 mild steel filler rod. Heat and weld until the desirable shape is attained. Looking at the front, side and top (I have a portable vise that I can get around 360 degrees with my torch in hand), I fill out the fuselage. I make welds as careful as possible paying attention to where the flame is directed so as not to destroy something I've already finished. I measure the lengths of the wings. I have been making the trailing edges from 1/16, R45. With the trailing edges welded to the appropriate place on the fuselage, I form the leading edge, using 3/32, R45. I 'fill' the wings with 1/16 rod, welding leading edge to trailing edge, parallel to the fuselage, spaced aesthetically correct. I make the engines by 'guess' and position them by measurement. I pay a lot of attention to all of the details, all of the time. Angles have to be correct, shape is very important, and accurate. I finish the projects with a stand of some appropriate size and shape. I have used many different kinds, and some experimentation leads the way to the 'right' base or stand.

I have a Victor JT28 torch (it was old when it was given to me 45 years ago), with tips ranging from 000 to 3. I usually use the 000. I also have a Smith 'little torch'. It produces a very small flame, yet still 6300 degrees and will produce a nice burn as you pass it across your skin (you know). I use 6lbs Acetylene, 12lbs Oxygen, Neutral flame.

Never be afraid to try something. You have only 'scrapped' some welding rod and many times you can weld scrapped stuff together and have a creative 'sculpture'

I hope this helps someone to have some fun
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I have tons of little scraps laying around especially pieces of welding rod and I refuse to throw it out because you never know when you will need them. A lot of times I will play around with the pieces of scrap to just fine tune settings. Looks good by the way. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Mikechallgren

image.jpg
image.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
mcoe wrote:I have tons of little scraps laying around especially pieces of welding rod and I refuse to throw it out because you never know when you will need them. A lot of times I will play around with the pieces of scrap to just fine tune settings. Looks good by the way. :)
Here is a bunch of pieces of scrap that I had fun with