What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
marcie10
    Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm

So I realize that I'm a new member, and I recognize the fact there are a LOT of newbies on this forum. I've looked at a lot of projects here and a great percentage of them are extremely basic projects. I have been involved in metal fabrication for over 30 years mostly as a fitter. My fabrication skills are WAY above average, and my welding skills are average, mainly stick and MIG. I have very little experience in TIG welding, because it's REALLY difficult to hold pieces and tack at the same time (one day I might grow a 3rd arm and hand to accomplish that). I eventually plan on getting a TIG machine to weld out joints after they have been tacked.
I am including a link to my first trike project, just to show what CAN be done as a metal fabricator.
This tike was a rear engine VW trike that had a horrendous, unsafe frame. Everything from the VW subframe was cut off and rebuilt and pics of the finished machine can be seen here http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/marci ... t=3&page=1
The next post will include some never before seen pics of the trike I am finishing up now
Last edited by marcie10 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcie10

My current project is a mid engine trike powered by a Porsche 914 engine and transaxle. It has a gutted VW transaxle case that holds the clutch and starter tying into a jackshaft cut from the 914 transaxle mainshaft that was gutted to use as part of my dummy powertrain. This pic shows the beginning of the project.
100_0117.jpg
100_0117.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
The next pics were taken about 10 months later. I worked on this project on my spare time, as I work a 4-10 schedule at Austal USA building LCS's and JSHV's for the US Navy.
100_0479.jpg
100_0479.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
100_0481.jpg
100_0481.jpg (106.52 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
This was all fabricated and welded using cutting wheels on a 4&1/2" grinder and my old 185 Eastwood MIG welder (since died, replaced with a Longevity 200 MIG).
This is the first time I have posted any pics of the mid-engine trike online, and have not allowed pics taken by any visitors. I fabricated the frame and rear suspension out of 1" and 3/4" SEAMLESS sch 40 pipe. The design is based on the Swedish style trikes, but going way beyond, utilizing a stronger, cooler running engine and a 5 speed overdrive IRS transaxle, rather than the old 4 speed swing axle trans that the Swedish builders use.
Marcie
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Marcie10,

Those are fine looking trikes I like the "industrial" feel of the first, with the diamondplate, rectangular saddlebags, and the cargo bed. Was this the theme of the trike before your frame rebuild?

The mid-engine trike is particularly impressive. It's difficult to build with all those curves and have it all flow smoothly.

You're quite right, you'll see many simple projects here, particularly among the beginning welders. Most are focusing on the welding aspect of the project, and posting pics for critique and advice. I suppose working with simpler projects allows a lot more weld time vs. fabrication and fit-up time.

If you keep digging, you'll find some very impressive fabrications here, as well. Several of us (including you, it seems) have been in the metal trades for 30 years or more, in every imaginable aspect from art through aerospace, which makes this a great place for anyone learning a new process (or starting from scratch) to get advice from many different perspectives. We're always glad to have one more!

Steve S
marcie10

Steve,
There was no "theme" of the first trike other than get my disabled friend some safe transportation. The theme of the trike before the rebuild was "garbage". :shock: I donated all my time and a large amount of material and parts. The rectangular saddlebags are from and old truck tool box that was cut apart and reworked into 2 boxes and the desire to get the battery and electrical out of the weather. As this is his only transportation, the bed on the back was somewhat a necessity. He also has a small enclosed cargo trailer that he can use to haul stuff with. I have incorporated a receiver into both trikes rear bumpers. We added a pair of large leather saddlebags to the first trike above the rear fenders along with a huge remote oil cooler and filter setup and a marine grade fuel filter/water trap since those pics were taken.
I appreciate the comments about the "flow" on the mid-engine machine. I actually started calling her "Flo" about 3 months into the project. Another pic showing one of the tubes tying into the bottom rail
100_0213.jpg
100_0213.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
gleep_54
    Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Wow! I really appreciate what you've done here! Embarking on the same project myself, been an idea of mine since just out of high school (just turned 60) and now gathering up materials, have a good work space, some time, skills, tools so...

It looks like you either used a Type 4 engine or one from a 914- I would really like to ask what you used for the rear suspension set up- I'm using a VW IRS 4 speed and was toying with an idea to fab a lower "A" arm the hub assembly sprung by a coil over. How did you approach this (if you don't mind sharing)?

Any and all help, suggestions, recommendations accepted and appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

marcie 10, if you want to see some experienced fit up check out tamjeff's work.
I'm sure you will be impressed.
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Marcie10, as far as tacking with tig, it is easily done as long as you have a tight fit of parts. Jody has a video or two.
I personally like using a torch switch, with the machine set close to double what you would weld with. Hold the parts tight, then a quick on/off of the torch switch. As long as your fit up was good, torch angle/position was good, and amps were set right, you get a nice clean tack that is easily tig welded over later.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Interesting project, did you ever consider modifying the 924/944 transmission for this?

Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Pat,

While this topic's been dormant for 10 months, a look through the stats show that marcie10 still visits (last was about 10 days ago), so your interest in his project will likely get a reply, but it may take a bit. There are other bike builders here, too, including a top custom bicycle builder (screen name- Zank) who's brain you could pick for fitting, jigs, and fixtures, as well as welding and forming techniques (he works mainly in 4130 steel, Ti, and Al). TamJeff is another great source for info on forming and fitting curves in tubing. Almost everything he does is "one-off" custom work, often from napkin-sketches.

We have many members for whom welding is an "after work" obsession, so there's information available here on almost any conceivable topic. We try to keep it welding related, but in the "general shop talk" section, pretty much anything goes.

Steve S
gleep_54
    Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Believe me, as I progress in my current project I'll likely have plenty of welding questions! Thanks for the heads up though.

As to the 924 set up, as interesting as it looks, Type 1 part availability was the draw for me, they're still everywhere and relatively cheap. Thanks for the input!

Pat
marcie10

Pat,
Yes, it's a Porsche 914 engine, "W" block 1.7L. I also used a 914 side shifter transaxle, as it has the correct rotation and 5 speeds (mid engine car). Not all VW IRS transaxles can have the ring gear installed on the other side, which has to be done, unless you really want 4 reverse gears and 1 forward. The transaxle can also be flipped over, which also creates it's own set of issues. That is the reason almost all Swedish trikes are built using swing axle transaxles, the ring gear is easily moved from one side to the other, changing the rotation of the trans, to accommodate the powertrain being swapped end for end. Even then, the teeth of the gears are now being loaded on the wrong side. The swing axle suspension is much easier to build
Since the 914 is an IRS, I fabbed upper and lower A arms, to hold the hubs. I didn't submit pics of the rear suspension. I spent hours and hours of research to find the parts that would work, and I'm not so willing to throw all that info out on the net.The trike I built is my prototype, I'm hoping to eventually make this into a business. The next machine will incorporate changes, including the rear suspension.

Glen C
I have considered the 924/944 torque tube setup, mainly looking for an automatic. Still searching for a donor to build a spec trike.