What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Great work! If you haven't already, take a look at the parts book from King Metals. When I was last in business, I used to purchase all of my decorative iron elements from King; I couldn't make them as inexpensively as I could buy them from King. I was able to really add decorative design to rails. For example, for an upscale wine shop I built a basic handrail/grab rail, but worked in grape vines with leaves and grape clusters. Very effective.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Thank you :)

That's a good point Boomer - I did check them out for this one, but the scale version of the scroll I drew did not match available ones.

If I end up doing more of these, I'll likely be watching what I draw so that it matches more off the shelf items.

For the small stuff that comes in, like window grates for a bar that I made recently, making a few isn't too big of a deal.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Minnesota! For a few years I made a living making custom handrails like you picture here. I did always try to work some custom element into the design. For example, I would try to pick up on design elements in the front of the house for the front rails, etc. I worked with a local glass artist and she was able to do some really nice designs in glass. For one customer, who was a very 'out-doorys' type, I put in four panes of glass, about 4" X 8" depicting the four seasons. Very thick glass, so no real worries about breaking. I miss that kind of work, in a way it was fun! But it was hard for me to start thinking 'outside of the box' and not be so plain and utilitarian.

I look forward to seeing more of your projects!

Stained glass work in a black iron railing would look awesome :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Great job Dave, I enjoyed the pictures and shots of your welds.

Did you build a fixture to assemble the main panels ?

Regards,
Wobulate (Bruce)

P.S.: Looking at your drawings, thats how I start my projects. When I was working I had to use Microsoft Visio Professional, so now that is what I use to finalize my designs.
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12

Thanks Wobulate :)

For a fixture, all I did was clamp 2 angle irons at a 90 on the table.

Then I just laid in the top rail and first post - worked my way across.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc