What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

After practicing since mid-Oct, I felt it was time to actually MAKE something :lol: I've been using my woodworking bench with a piece of 3/16" plate on top as my makeshift table but had scorched it in a place or two. My welder was sitting up top of my tablesaw.... needless to say, it was time. I have a small 2-car garage which is packed not only with two cars, it also has a fair amount of woodworking tools, kayaking gear, weightlifting stuff, paddleboards, etc. Yes yes too many toys but they all get used.

I needed a setup with a small footprint for my TIG machine and a plasma cutter. I also felt learning sketchup would be a nice skill to have for future projects. I wasn't sure if I could build what I wanted without a MIG so this project was my test. I'm pleased with the outcome.

Table Height is 38" (I'm 6'2"). Top 24"x48"
1.5" 11 gauge square tubing. 3/8" diamond plate top.
The bottom shelf holding my plasma cutter is 3/4" above the ground, lowering the center of gravity and making the narrow cart more stable.
welding_cart_sketchup1.jpg
welding_cart_sketchup1.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
welding_cart_sketchup2.jpg
welding_cart_sketchup2.jpg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG (133.34 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
IMG_3946.JPG
IMG_3946.JPG (121.43 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
IMG_3947.JPG
IMG_3947.JPG (96.98 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
IMG_3948.JPG
IMG_3948.JPG (94.31 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3949.JPG (97.64 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
The cart can be placed on the end while I'm working and it can be stored underneath while not being used. Obviously the tank and the filler rods won't fit under the cart.
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3950.JPG (129.61 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
I plan to add a folding end leaf for cutting and hopefully limiting cleanup in the garage.
welding_cart_sketchup3.jpg
welding_cart_sketchup3.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
welding_cart_sketchup4.jpg
welding_cart_sketchup4.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice work.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well done - very neat.

Loved scrolling down and seeing the Sketchup plans become the real thing, in the metal.

Kym
    Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Nicely done!!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
sru_tx

Thanks! I feel I have a pretty good handle on Sketchup. I can doodle around with ideas, visualize the results and then build it.

I still need to add a method for attaching a vice and add the cutting wing. I'm thinking about using some DOM sq tubing to allow the quick removal and stowage of vice when not needed.

The cart is a bit odd but i had a few design constraints. The need to store under the table and the overall height of the cutter and TIG without having a 40+" table pointed me towards a dropped/lowered bottom shelf. The cantilevered side-entry shelves were my solution to dealing with the interference of the casters and the supporting cross-members. It also gave me the flexibility that if I found that I 'needed'/wanted a MIG, I could widen the caster support and add a shelf for it on the other side of the center tree and still fit. Luckily I didn't need that fallback setup.

I'll post pics of the wing when I put it together.

steve

ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Nicely thought out.
Mind if I steal it?
I have similar storage area issues, ie I've filled most of them and this has a lot of the ideas I've been thinking about but with a better layout.

Merry Christmas.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
sru_tx

Thanks! I will post pics onceI get the cutting wing and vice mount(s) added on the table.

I have an espresso machine with a procon pump sitting in the garage. Thinking I may cannibalize it and integrate a torch cooler setup into my cart.

Thanks for looking.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Outstanding work.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
sru_tx

I finally got back to my welding table project and have added a fold-down cutting "wing" to the end of the table. With the wing down there's still room to store my welding cart underneath the table. The wing has a sheet metal (0.050") funnel which collects the cuttings, filings, etc. when I use my bandsaw or plasma cutter. The gap in the middle bars is to allow my SWAG bandsaw table to drop in.

Works like a champ. It keeps my garage so much cleaner. Really like it.

thanks for looking.
steve
Attachments
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG (122.62 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
IMG_4033.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG (130.42 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
IMG_4035.JPG
IMG_4035.JPG (187.81 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
IMG_4036.JPG
IMG_4036.JPG (183.54 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

My only change would be a metal container under the cutting table, but thats just my ohs nazi comming out :D
Nice work
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Pretty cool idea!
sru_tx

Thanks Pete. I know what you're saying. There's a possibility for a problem (hot plasma vs. cheap plastic bin) but so far I haven't seen any issues even after a fair amount of plasma cutting this weekend. I love the way the funnel/bin catches everything. The garage was sooooo much cleaner after a week of projects.

steve

sru_tx wrote:Thanks Pete. I know what you're saying. There's a possibility for a problem (hot plasma vs. cheap plastic bin) but so far I haven't seen any issues even after a fair amount of plasma cutting this weekend. I love the way the funnel/bin catches everything. The garage was sooooo much cleaner after a week of projects.

steve
Excellent work and planning on your project. A real professional look.

Maybe cap off the ends of the square tubing so a wasp doesn't make its home inside :o I know you have plenty of them in the Lone Star state.
Richard
Website
sru_tx

Thanks LtBadd. I spent a fair amount of time planning and have multiple versions in sketchup. I'm super happy with how the flip up cutting wing finished out. Extremely useful. gives me extra workspace that is hard to come by in my garage and keeps it super clean.

I agree that capped tubes give a more refined finish (plus gives me more welding practice which I desperately need). Actually I'm hoping to come up with some sort of light-duty removable vice mount to slip into the open tubes. If I come up with a different approach the ends will get capped.

wasps? nah.., mud dobbers perhaps :) certainly palmetto bugs (cockroaches) splat.

steve

hoangtrong001
    Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 am

ex framie wrote:My only change would be a metal container under the cutting table, but thats just my ohs nazi comming out :D
Nice work
I think so :roll:
welderst
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:55 am

Love it! You're very good at sketchup. I would like to use this software, but I don't know where to start. Can you advice me videos or anything else? Thanks :)

welderst wrote:Love it! You're very good at sketchup. I would like to use this software, but I don't know where to start. Can you advice me videos or anything else? Thanks :)
I'm in this situation also, came across this discussion on another welding forum and this link was given, granted it's for woodworkers, but that shouldn't matter
Richard
Website
sru_tx

welderst,
I was already familiar with SolidWorks from a previous job so I understood the basics of CAD. I used Sketchup's tutorials to get familiar with it.

LtBadd's link looks like an awesome resource. I might have to work through it as well.

steve

bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Very nice and also nice to have CAD program to better visualize it all.