What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Angusbass
    Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

When welding legs to a BBQ pit. What method do you all use to get them aligned correctly. Im a beginner and would like some insight on this topic. I don't have pipe stands or a hoist at the moment. Im working off the floor. I am current using square tubing cut at 45 degree then welded to the casing. I don't exactly have a system of how to align the legs correctly every time. Trial and error for me.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Angus,
Before anyone could even attempt to answer your question we would either need a picture (best) or at least know the shape of the piece your asking about.

If it's round, as in a length of pipe, I would index it at 120* by using Pi divided by three. A piece of angle iron laid open side down with the length of the pipe, then run a pencil line along the edge will give you your starting point. See, they told you that you would need that math knowledge someday. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Angusbass

Thanks. Sorry if i was missing info. 1/4 inch thick 20 inch diameter round casing. 36 inches long. Thank you for the tip. Now I'm going on youtube to learn math.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Angus,
Much easier question to answer now with that one small detail included.

Now that we have a top center line established, start there and measure 21" around the pipe on both sides of this center line and come in from the ends however far you want your legs and put a mark. You can do this on one end and use your angle iron again to get the other marks for the two legs at the other end.

On 20" pipe it would be better to use a angle iron probably 3 x 3 or bigger to get a fairly straight center line. Local steel yard should have a drop long enough that you could pick up for a couple bucks.

You can also make this a three legged ordeal as the two legs on one end will be enough to keep it stable and a single leg at the other will keep it level. Put a set of wheels on the end with two legs and a handle on the end with one and now you can move it with ease.

See, now you got me giving you all my good ideas and next thing you know Angusbass grills will be in every Lowes. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Angusbass

Thank You for the great info!