What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Butcher
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 pm

I spent probably 3 hours total on this. I guess someone who knew what they were doing could have it done in a little over an hour. To match the round tubing contour to the square tubing I traced the contour with a scribe, cut slots with a cutoff wheel up to the scribe mark, then ground I all out with a grinding wheel and ground a little here and there till it made a good fit. I realized later I could have cut a thin piece off the round tubing to use as a guide for the plasma cutter and saved a lot of time. I had a hard time getting everything fit up perfectly and it is still a tiny bit out of square. I originally thought I might tig weld it up since I like tig welding so much, I am really glad I didn't. I was pretty happy with my weld job I did on this. The whole point to the contraption is to elevate the plates off the floor, that way they can easily be slid on or off. Before I would roll it onto a 5 pound plate. This is a ton simpler.
Attachments
DSC08019.JPG
DSC08019.JPG (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
DSC08018.JPG
DSC08018.JPG (39.05 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
DSC08017.JPG
DSC08017.JPG (28.58 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
With 450 pounds on the end of the bar, it still moves it easily enough.
With 450 pounds on the end of the bar, it still moves it easily enough.
DSC08016.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
DSC08015.JPG
DSC08015.JPG (52.48 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
DSC08014.JPG
DSC08014.JPG (55.81 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Good stuff. It would probably have taken me three hours or more as well, and I'm a tradesman. Keep up the good work. Ps most people who mouth off about how fast they are are usually rubbish.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

you can do things three ways:
good
fast
cheap
but not all three at once...
nice job.
fit up is the whole job.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Butcher,
If you're deadlifting 900# then you don't need to care what others think about how fast you got it done. :) Nice work and as the other's have said, fit up makes life a lot easier.

If you have a drill press and a hole saw the same size as the pipe, square tubing is very easy to cope. You can even do 2 copes at once if you plan it right by drilling with the hole saw where the 2 coped ends meet.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Great effort, you'd be pretty pleased with your results.

Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Butcher
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Braehill wrote:If you're deadlifting 900# then you don't need to care what others think about how fast you got it done. :)
Haha, I'm not deadlifting 900! I just wanted to see how easily the jack would move a loaded bar and I couldn't fit any more than 10 plates on the end.