What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
bass.warrior
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 am

Teenager proof mailbox.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I had a neighbor growing up that rolled a piece of 3/8 Aluminum into a U shape and welded it to a 3/8 flat plate and then welded it to a 2" solid rod that he cemented in the ground. It was about a 1/4 of a mile to my house from his and when they would hit it with a ball bat you would hear the box ring and the glass break from their side rear window when the bat snapped and went through it. Gotta love heavy duty.

I worked in a cylinder fill plant and all the old cylinders that wouldn't pass retest end up as either bumper poles or the bases were cut for similar mail boxes to yours. Yes they can stand up to teenagers very well. They only hit them once, then it's mail box 1 , teenager 0.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I had a teenager hit my mailbox two years ago and thought about making a custom box but had heard that custom boxes (I think there are certain dimensions one must meet) and steel poles were illegal here. I share a post with the neighbor and she would have a fit if I put something "ugly" in her opinion, so I just bought two matching boxes and put them back up. Oh well maybe at the next house. :D
-Jonathan
Tassie Dave
    Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 am

I made a wooden letter box in the form of a house. It survived all week then on a Saturday night it would receive the teenager treatment. I spent many a Sunday remaking the box, i even put screws through it so the mongrel would get a sore foot. It still got destroyed. I then made a steel letter box. The same as the wooden one hoping to break some smarties leg when he went to kick it. I concreted the pole into the ground and it was solid. It did the job destructive proof. Then i had a new drive put in and the letter box was just on the edge of the drive so it had to be relocated. My only option was to secure it to a concrete retaining wall with dyna bolts. I came home one Sunday morning after working a night shift and drove in thinking something was not quite right. I looked to the road and bugger me , the letter box was " gone ". Some swine had actually ripped the letterbox right off the retaining wall. So i then had to get a new mail box and fix the retaining wall. I would like to say what i really said when i found this but would be moderated severely.
I have an
Esab LHQ 150
Pro Weld TC256 ACDC multi process Tig Cut MMA
WeldSmart Mig 200IGBT Mig Tig MMA and spool gun

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We try not to censor posts, unless you are being abusive. So curse away.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll add that I've heard of lawsuits over "non-approved" mailboxes in areas that have ordinances. Even cases of kids trying to smach a box (a felony) and getting injured in the process.

I thought this through, and should I need it, my design would be a solid but light box on a pole with a break-away center section, where all I have to do is change out a 2-foot section of 2X2 pine in the center of the post. Gravity attach, so I don't even have to unscrew anything... just pull the busted ends out and stick in a fresh section of tomato-stake.

Steve S
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'll add that I've heard of lawsuits over "non-approved" mailboxes in areas that have ordinances. Even cases of kids trying to smach a box (a felony) and getting injured in the process.

I thought this through, and should I need it, my design would be a solid but light box on a pole with a break-away center section, where all I have to do is change out a 2-foot section of 2X2 pine in the center of the post. Gravity attach, so I don't even have to unscrew anything... just pull the busted ends out and stick in a fresh section of tomato-stake.

Steve S
Only in Merica' any other sensible country, they would tell the kid he got what he deserved and make the vandal pay for the replacement mailbox.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

^ exactly. :smh

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

soutthpaw wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I'll add that I've heard of lawsuits over "non-approved" mailboxes in areas that have ordinances. Even cases of kids trying to smach a box (a felony) and getting injured in the process.

Steve S
Only in Merica' any other sensible country, they would tell the kid he got what he deserved and make the vandal pay for the replacement mailbox.
In 'Merica, the poor daddys ask, "Did you learn anything?" and the rich daddys ask, "Did they have a nice house and car?"

Justice may be blind, but she feels which side of those scales have the gold...

Steve S
sling-it
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:10 am

A standard mail box works...as long as you place it between two second wood fence posts. Corner posts are just overkill.

Bang away kids.