What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:13 pm

A few years ago I was going through hard times financially. I was listing anything and everything through eHay to get some extra loot and noticed metal art. Thats all it took. Since then the 'real' job has become more stable so the art work is a fun when the feeling comes kinda thing.
Pics of a piece.

Not sure how to add more than one pic.

The lesson I learned is go for it. Love what you do.
1333303063728.jpg
1333303063728.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Bomp aka Greg

another pic
Attachments
1333303062018.jpg
1333303062018.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Bomp aka Greg
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Greg,
Wow! That is amazing! I have been trying my hand at "art" lately. There was a time that I looked at things like that and while I thought it was impressive never had much of a drive to make it. Now I would like to give it a serious effort, along with everything else I try to squeeze in.
It's the hard times that challenge us and make us what we are. Glad to see something like this come out of it. I would love to see more of your work. Never know, you might be the next Kevin Caron.
-Jonathan
flyinfairlane
    Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Very nice work Greg. The mountains look great!
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

very very nice how did you shade the mountains?
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:very very nice how did you shade the mountains?
I used a propane torch to gently heat the metal to get a nice golden brown.
The branches on the trees are painted. I've recently purchased a big thick book on a gazillion ways to treat steel to get the desired color you want with chemicals.
Here's another piece.
How do you load up more than one pic per comment?
1320893189914.jpg
1320893189914.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Thanks for the comments Fellas.
Bomp aka Greg

Greg,
When you click "attachment" and choose your picture click "add file" this will add the selected picture to your draft. When you see that the pic is there simply repeat this process until you have 3 pictures. You will also be able to comment under each picture if you desire. Hope this makes sense if not send me a PM.
-Jonathan

Big thanks Superiorwelding for the info on loading pics.
Along with killin' it at work with never ending tig work I like to play a bit in the home shop and dabble a little on this stuff.
You never know unless you try.

Some bubbles
Some bubbles
1283566611628.jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Attachments
A piece that was colored with the use of heat.
A piece that was colored with the use of heat.
1333303060338.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
A view of work being done in the shop.<br />Yes, that is a brake drum from a '69 Camaro hanging in the shop. Im a motor head.
A view of work being done in the shop.
Yes, that is a brake drum from a '69 Camaro hanging in the shop. Im a motor head.
1320893194726.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
A mirror from the 'Crazy Mirror' collection<br />excuse the mess in the reflection
A mirror from the 'Crazy Mirror' collection
excuse the mess in the reflection
2010-11-27 17.26.11.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Bomp aka Greg

Two more. Couldn't resist.
Attachments
me and a tree.<br />no one said smile.
me and a tree.
no one said smile.
1333303061784.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
mtn. sceen.
mtn. sceen.
1333303062279.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Bomp aka Greg
motox

would you be willing to share the name of the book with us?
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Greg those are very nice piece of art,impressive!wish i have a skills like yours :)

motox wrote:would you be willing to share the name of the book with us?
Here is a pic of the book.
I have found this book to be a useful tool in the art work I like to do. However it is not an only source of information, trying with many failed attempts (school of hard knocks) has been the strongest learning tool.
This book also doesn't have a lot of technique info on mild steel but is still helpful.
On the inside of the jacket reads:
The techniques of metal colouring, bronzing and patination are assuming a new importance in contemporary fine metalwork and design. Richard Hughes and Michael Rowe have assembled and tested the recipes included in this book, which is the most comprehensive work on the subject currently available, an essential reference and sourcebook for practitioners and all those involved in sculpture, architecture, design and the decorative arts. It brings together hundreds of recipes and treatments previously scatted in a variety of old books and technical papers, and provides the artist-craftsman with a very wide range of coloured finishes.
Each of the recipes included has been tested and evaluated by the authors and the practical procedures involved are clearly explained. In addition, they have devised techniques that considerably broaden the range of surface finishes that can be obtained.
The metals covered are bronze and yellow brass in cast form;copper, gilding metal, yellow brass and silver in sheet forms;and silver-plate and copper-plate. The book is easy to use ; all the recipes are classified according to the colour and surface finish they produce on each metal. Colour illustrations show over 200 examples of finishes as test pieces of metal, or as cast or spun bowls. Notes accompanying each recipe draw attention to potentially dangerous processes or chemicals, and to the correct safety precautions. Safety procedures in general are covered thoroughly in a separate section.
Detailed information a on a practical workshop methods and how to avoid any problems that may be encountered is given in sections on the various techniques. A glossary of archaic chemical terms and their modern equivalents is included. An historical introduction outlines the various metalworking traditions which which the use of colouring techniques is associated. An extensive bibliography gives over 400 references of historical, practical and theoretical interest.

327 pages. 8.25"X11.5"

Here are some pics:
The cover of the book.
The cover of the book.
colouring metal.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Attachments
And easy to follow information.
And easy to follow information.
colouring metal b.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
A shot of the test pieces and there are many pages like this to show results.
A shot of the test pieces and there are many pages like this to show results.
colouring metal a.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Bomp aka Greg
motox

great, very considerate of you to take the time to post the info and pictures
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Terrific, mate. Very interesting work, presented well, too. Thanks.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Greg, there's a facebook group called "The Workshop". It's about crafts and craftsmanship, with metal arts being a major focus, and a fair reperesentation of woodcraft. It's pretty new, and still defining itself.

Are you familiar with it? If not, and you're interested, I'll pull the link and share it with you.

You would impress, and likewise likely be impressed.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Greg, there's a facebook group called "The Workshop". It's about crafts and craftsmanship, with metal arts being a major focus, and a fair reperesentation of woodcraft. It's pretty new, and still defining itself.

Are you familiar with it? If not, and you're interested, I'll pull the link and share it with you.

Steve S
Steve,
I would be interested
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Greg, there's a facebook group called "The Workshop". It's about crafts and craftsmanship, with metal arts being a major focus, and a fair reperesentation of woodcraft. It's pretty new, and still defining itself.

Steve S
Steve,
I would be interested
-Jonathan
https://www.facebook.com/groups/591524137630417/

It's a "closed" group, but not anal about membership.

Steve S

Steve S
No I haven't heard of it but I will definitely check it out.
I've somewhat neglected the art scene since I started my '66 Chevy Stretch cab project.
I did get accepted into a gallery which was a really nice feeling.
The art work thing only flows when the feeling is right otherwise it gets into a 'production' thing then withers and dies.
I will defineitly check out the "The Workshop"

Thanks
Bomp aka Greg
sparkman
    Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Everybody has a calling, i think you found yours, if you love, do it!

sparkman wrote:Everybody has a calling, i think you found yours, if you love, do it!
Thanks.
I don't know if I'd call it a calling, its fun at times, I like my 9-5 job. Think thats what lets the art thing be fun. Like my '66 stretch cab pu project better at the moment.
Bomp aka Greg