What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
eddahenry
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:53 am

Over the past 18 months I have been building tools to make life easier in the workshop.
First up I wanted to build a welding bench that let me clamp anyware and every ware
So I come up with using I beams that can be clamped anyware on the table
So I made the base
Than I cut up some I beams and mounted angle on the so the could slide and it was done
Works well to

Next up I need a bender to make frame mods on my bikes , so I searched the inter webs for some full sized plans , got the printed out , cut the plans out than contact cemented it onto the steel. Than transferred the plans with a centre punch .
Than attacked them with the gas axe , than finished with a file and sanding

That's it for now more later on
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Those look great!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

Nice work! How's the bender working?
eddahenry

Bender works great , just like a bought one :D
Scott
    Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm

What did you use for dies and how big of pipe were you bending?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
eddahenry

I brought the jd2 die ( expensive lol)
ATM I'm bending 1 1/8 x .120 wall dom steel tube
The reason I built the bender and stand is so doing that I saved the amount of money I needed to buy a die set
And I built it wide enough to take up to the 2.5 inch die
Scott
    Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm

I usually work with 1 3/4 DOM with a JD2. I wanted more die but I know what your saying about price. I thought maybe you were making them. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
eddahenry

I have the drawings for them and a lathe with enough swing to get the job done but I need to build a radius tool to do it ,,, sigh another reject lol
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Nice work, I especially like the tube bender mind posting where you got the plans? I like the table to, I am planning to build one with a similar concept using 5/8" thick by 6" wide slabs and tack nuts on the bottom to attach to the frame and have each one adjustable to ensure a level surface. Each slat would have a space between them for lots of clamping options. This of course this is after the tig cart/work station lol
bass.warrior
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 am

2 slightly different set of tubing bender plans here, including the jd2 that is looks like edda is building.
http://www.chopperhandbook.com/bender.htm
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

bass.warrior wrote:2 slightly different set of tubing bender plans here, including the jd2 that is looks like edda is building.

Cool thanks I've been on that site a million times and must have never looked there lol.
eddahenry

bass.warrior wrote:2 slightly different set of tubing bender plans here, including the jd2 that is looks like edda is building.
Yepo that's the one
And when you print them there to scale so like me you can cut them out and transfer the drill centers
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Nice.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

eddahenry,

Could I trouble you for a quick rundown on what files and sanding material you're using?

Also I assume that's low caron steel, right?

Thanks for the info.
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
eddahenry

newschoppafowah wrote:eddahenry,

Could I trouble you for a quick rundown on what files and sanding material you're using?

Also I assume that's low caron steel, right?

Thanks for the info.
I'm using Nicholson brand industrial files as I have always had good luck with those
So a half round bastard cut for shaping after cutting with the oxy propane
Than a 120 flap disk
And I used a 3m purple scotch brite clean and strip pad to remove the mill scale before painting
Yep and it's all hot rolled mild steel
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Hey thanks for the info.

Good stuff. :D
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc