What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

So, I go out to the garage and start grinding the welds to make everything pretty. The fuse pops. ??? I reset the fuse. It pops again. ??? Seems that Mark the electrician re-wired something and can't use the welder in the garage. So, now I have to weld on the back porch. Oh. well. :|
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

It's always something!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
CraigLam

This really bites. I need electricity to run my welder. I have a Lincoln SP 140 T. It runs great on 120V. I don't know what Mark did to the power, but, my welder won't work in my garage now. I think he was told to change it. The tenants don't pay for the electricity that goes out there.
I was thinking of getting a power head, like the one at HF, and a motor to make my own generator. I don't know how many watts it will take to run my welder. I know you need at least 10-15 KW to run my stick welder. I know you don't need that much power to run a 120V mig welder.
Anybody know how the Generator head from HF performs?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Craig, have a look at this thread...

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=3058

It's about inverters on a generator, but you may find the info useful in your decision making.

Steve S
CraigLam

Otto, as usual, you came thru, again. The info was very helpful. The HF power head manual says it's a "Brushless exitation". So I shopped around. I was getting some feedback from some other sites, that one guy used a HF generater, 7000 watt, for his Hobart welder, no problem. Another site said that 6000 watts was ok for a 110v mig welder. He said he has been using it continuously for 8 months, and always starts on the first pull. I'm gonna hunt around a little more, but, looks like that's the one I'll get. Thanks, again.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ Craiglam

The " brushless excitation " is worrying - I know this is going to sound strange but the majority of small generators that are described this way generate a very poor wave form that is really only suited to pure resistive loads - they are cheap to produce & if used for their intended purpose are fine - they are one of the most tolerant types if overloaded - BUT if you look at the output on an oscilloscope they are dreadful & I would never recommend using them on any load with a reactive / inductive component - try looking in the end of the unit - if you can see a large capacitor mounted to the frame avoid it - even if someone you know has used a similar unit for a while without issues - it is only a matter of time.
CraigLam

Hey, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. The mini bike was getting kind of expensive for the parts and the research. The contacts that I have made have been very positive. During that time, some work was starting to come my way, one of which is sort of big. Probably about three weeks of work. And another after that. When their done, I will have enough to complete the project. After that, comes marketing. E-bay has department that is devoted in helping people sell their products. But, first things first. I have to finish the bike. The thing I'm looking at the most, is the transmission. Mini bikes don't have trannys, they have torque converters. I have to research this more. Eventually, the bikes will be street legal.
CraigLam

Hey, everybody. Sup? I'm working on a project, now, and haven't had much time to post. However, I'm welding stainless steel for the first time and it's a little tricky. Nothing I can't handle. Tri-mix is expensive.
I got a small problem. When I was welding, I noticed it got increasingly difficult to see the weld after a minute or so. I found out the problem was my glasses. They're sun sensor. They get dark in sunlight. So, I got some cheaper lenses and put them in and it worked so-so. The real problem is my helmet. I got it from Harbor freight. Not bad, but, I think I can afford a more expensive helmet now that I'm working. Anyone can recommend a good helmet without spending too much money?