What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I received this email from a guy:

"How much to install this kit:

https://artecindustries.3dcartstores.co ... p_309.html

I went to the site and downloaded the instructions. This what I responded with:

"Yes, I can help you with the welding and welding only. This means you would be responsible for fitting up all the parts and indicating to me exactly where you want me to weld them.
The axle will be removed from the vehicle during the installation of this kit, with clear access to the work area (not working underneath a vehicle).

My charge would be $150 for one visit to your location for 2 hours. Welding does not include castings. Where are you located?"

He said it would take longer than 2 hours. So I ask him, how long then?
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Nils.

Charge per hour. To reduce the hours, the client should have the areas to be welded cleaned from paint, the components clamped or fixed in position, and ready to weld. Also providing cover in case the weather turns for the worse.

Probably a good chat on the phone to understand if he knows what he is doing too.

Alexa
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Beware of stuff like that. Don't ever quote the time or the dollars without being sure of what you are working with. Here is how I quote something like that. I would say that I am $60/hr plus materials and I charge the drive time one way. I would also mention that I can't judge the time without looking at the parts in person; pictures only show a small portion of the work and you never know what the base materials are. I lost money more than once for crap like that. If they want a quote for the whole job they are probably planning a way to screw you so bid it way high. Good luck.
Be the monkey....
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Nick sounds right. Before you do all that, talk to the guy and see where he's at. Not geographically, but, money wise. After being in the trades for over 40 years, if he starts talking about, "How much is this" and "How much is that" and "Why does it cost so much to have something welded", may be a job you might want to pass up. This is something you will have to find out for your self. What's said and done at the beginning of the job, may change real quick at the end of the job. You also might want to enter into a contract where the job is is in writing. This can help greatly if you are forced to collect.