What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
ehart4130
    Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm

I made this bumper for my 2004 Tacoma last year. I wanted to make something simple and nicer than the stock one.
My truck is twd and has the small 2.7L 4 cylinder, so I almost never tow anything. For that reason I left out the hitch. I figured
I could still add a hitch if I ever want to.

Anyways I took a lot of measurements, then I drew it up in SolidWorks, a really awesome parametric 3d modeling program I use
a lot at work as an engineer, then fab'd it up!

Take a look and let me know what you guys (and girls) think :D
Attachments
Gusset plate
Gusset plate
IMG_0543.jpg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Frame mounts
Frame mounts
IMG_0541.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Keep learning!
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Very nice and nice looking welds.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Dont take this the wrong way, but you may be something of a rare animal.... An engineer that actually knows his stuff when it comes to welding and can back up "book smarts" with actual real world skills .

Nice ones at that. Good job.

Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That looks great!
(And I second what Mick said!)

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have to agree, that's pretty damn slick!

If you knew how many times I'd fought with an "engineer" who'd never picked up a tool and done the job he designed...

Good on ya!

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

My future stepson is studying to be an engineer, and the school he's going to is starting him off on the right foot. He has to take classes in machine shop and toolmaking as prerequisites for any engineering classes, so at least he'll have some practical experience in what goes on at the shop level before he goes out into the real world.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
ehart4130

Thanks for the nice words everyone. I totally agree about the practical/ hands on skills and academic/book skills.
I think its very important to know both sides because how can you design things without the know how of making them?

Whats even more unusual is almost everyone at my work is like me; hands on and has some strong academic knowhow.

The problem with engineering programs at most universities is they have absolutely no hands on classes.
It just studying like crazy and taking exams. It would be much more enjoyable and beneficial if you got to
make things.

Thats just my humble opinion :D .

Elliot
Keep learning!
ehart4130

delraydella wrote:My future stepson is studying to be an engineer, and the school he's going to is starting him off on the right foot. He has to take classes in machine shop and toolmaking as prerequisites for any engineering classes, so at least he'll have some practical experience in what goes on at the shop level before he goes out into the real world.

Other Steve
That's great. I looked into a program like this before I started my engineering degree at a polytechnic school, but decided against it because
this particular one was not yet accredited. It sounded a lot more fun than the theoretical one I went through.

I think if you get some good work experience while going through an engineering program that can help out a lot too.

Elliot
Keep learning!
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

DelrayDella.

There is also a very important 'middle ground' between the welding engineering and the welding operations. It is the welding technologist/technician, that helps to close that gap. Inside, on the quality side of welding, it would be a welding inspection.

Alexa