mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
MaysBoys96
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:15 am

I'm new to this site. So I'm not sure if this is allowed. But I have my first welding test Monday morning. I know they do mig welding for their products. I've practice a tig welding test and a beveled stick welding test. But I never done a mig welding test. I'm incredibly nervous about it. Do you guys or gals have any advice or some tips yall can give me?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Be up front about your experience level. They will likely see threw any bs claims. Don't try to sell yourself to them there probably looking for someone willing to learn how they want it done.
Mig is as much about watching the puddle as all the other processes. Mig does require some motion as you weld. In Jody's vids he talks a lot about making small e shapes. On test day your hands will shake enough if you just try to move straight that you won't have to focouse on making e's. Use your travel speed and gun angle to control how the bead looks as you go along. Take all your gear hood, gloves, saftey glasses. If your not sure how to set up the machine be up front with them about this as well. The honesty will likely get you some slack.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
MaysBoys96

Well I nailed my welding test. I burnt a hole in it at first due to me being nervous. But he told me to calm down and just relax. After that. I did perfect. Ran 2 down hills and 2 flat weld . He went to go bend it and the welds didn't break. He said once we went back to the office "He's a keeper" kinda made me feel good after that lol. I appreciate it Poland for the tips.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Good to hear! Success always feels good.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Good job buddy! What kind of stuff will you be snapping together? Are you going to be involved other aspects of the fabrication process?
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

We were taught...."Think robot, be robot".
Always... forehand angle, angle to fillet, stickout, never changes, act like a machine is doing it. Never vary anything.

Same with travel speed, always consistent.

Easier said than done.
MaysBoys96

This place build racks for like Walmart lowes and other place that involve racks. They said they're gonna put me in the accesories department. And they said it's just like random things people want on the racks. So. It's a good start.