mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Has anybody used this wire

FabCO EXTREME B2
E81T5-B2M H8

I'm having a problem with this burning through tips with in minute of changing it.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Could this be a polarity problem? FCAW is generally electrode negative, while GMAW is electrode positive. Machines vary in how they handle this: some have positive and negative ports on the front of the machine that allow you to jack the leads in as needed. Other machines have polarity switches or settings.

I'm thinking that a burned tip may be the result of power flowing in the wrong direction.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

DCEN is the way it is set up. I have been using this for about 6 month. It has done this from day one and it is getting old. When in am welding it locks like the fix is melting out of the wire before it gets to the puddle. I thank it is going back to the tip and burning the inside of it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

What are your set up numbers - do they match this chart?
What is your stick-out length?
Is the wire old or new?
hobart fcaw wire AWS E81T5-B2M H8.GIF
hobart fcaw wire AWS E81T5-B2M H8.GIF (39.41 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

The welding data chart suggests that this is a dual shield wire, are you using a shielding gas?

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Yep have that chart and it is 25.5 at 375 ipm 72/25 gas at a 35 flow the stick out is about 1/2 inch. It will do this with a new one or old.
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

May be wrong here but most dual shield is run EP. Also, do you have knurled drive rolls? If the wire is getting crushed at the feed rolls you wouldn't know until it hits the tip... causing your issue. Check tension and polarity!
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

Correction... I see it says DCEN but I would check the drive system

I welds bad if it is in DCEP and good in DCEN. I know that is set up the right way. I replace the drive rollers earlier this year they're practically brand new still.
They are just tight enough to barely move through my glove it is also only double roller system.

Man, at this point I think I'd call the wire manufacturer for guidance.
I'd sure be frustrated if it didn't work correctly.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Man it is really getting to me

quvit92 wrote:Man it is really getting to me
I can imagine - I'd be interested to hear what the factory rep says about the issue.
Maybe it's happened to others and they know what to do about it?
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

I hope so

So I got is fixed it was the rollers the one on the right is what I had in the machine and I switch to the black one on the left it works perfectly nowImage
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Maybe the old one was just worn out.
Now just try to avoid over tightening with the knurled one.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It was not the roller being old it is an deferent tips of roller that you need for flux core
    Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

what do you mean by burning thru tips? burnback? the tip bore has doubled? tips last a long time, when the wire welds to the end of the tip , the tip is not burnt or shot, just needs to to be fixed. Why that happened is what you want to Know. I dont think that you ran 25 lbs of wire thru that tip and wore it out or burnt it out. sounds like a simple mig short circuit welding problem.
tip stick out is too short, burnback setting too short, poor ground , what voltage and wire feed speed caused this problem?

what I want in the end is strong , clean looking welds, I never attained that with flux core ,never liked it - so I only went to argon-co2 , and with the crappiest equipment , I achieve great results,I use good tips, correct gas and american made mig wire in my crappy welder. Mig welder.Welding is more complicated than you may believe. The equipment only needs to supply the power and decent wire speed ,correct gas and consumables IMO. weather short circuit welding or spray transfer. I make an analogy .I have a cheap Chinese band-saw that works good , but I had to modify it to work to my expectations , made new legs, welded some supports on the guide rollers -bla-bla-bla and use only american made blades. For me it was wort the the time to dial in the saw for my home-owner use. So what I'm saying is, focus on your end results and use the best practices and to achieve that goal
within your budget

^ what????

quvit92 wrote:So I got is fixed it was the rollers the one on the right is what I had in the machine and I switch to the black one on the left it works perfectly now
Ah, still had smooth wheels from hard wire in the machine.
So it would slip a little occasionally and melt the wire to the tip - that would explain it.

Now it probably feeds easy and reliably - glad it's fixed for you man :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

sorry I was obviating , Roller Grove selection is as follows V for steel Wire, U for Aluminum , Knurled for flux core that is the rule period. takes hundreds of pounds of wire to ware a roller out

the wire I was using before this one did not do this ever and I was using v grove

that is possible and true .stick with quality products that You are comfortable with. the end results should be consistent with your expectations. Use the best , premium products recommended . Wire choice can make a world of difference! I can not recommend any wire brand of flux core as I prefer gas shield.

Could not get the other wire any more shade to switch

you are using something premium, not just the cheapest on line crap I hope?