mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Did they quit offering this for a safety reason?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum AdVirMachina.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

AdVirMachina wrote:Did they quit offering this for a safety reason?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I'm not sure...
I don't think it was a great success....

What machine you trying to put it on???

~John

ps. Welcome to the Forum.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

I was just wondering. I never see them anywhere. I have a Tweco 211i and thought it would be nice to have in case of emergencies.

Yeah.
NT discontinued it.
I looked around on some sites fir you.
Couldn't find much.

Here's one link. :arrow:

Nope,
They are unavailable....
Checked about every website.
All are out of stock.

Good luck,
And if you happen to stumble across some, let me know, I wouldn't mind getting one for my 115v mig.

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I sent a e-mail out to a friend "in the know" will have to see what he has to say.
For your reference it is Hobart 770626.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think this was one of those ideas that "sounded" great, but had too small a market.

The pro welder has no need for it; He has a bottle of 75/25 and a big machine. The farmer has no need for it; he has 6013 and 7014, and a generator welder. The hobbyist works at home.

Who would you sell this to? A small handfull of people in a niche market, doing small or minor repairs, or art installations.

Put 75/25 or argon in those bottles, and you're still looking at a tiny market between pro mobile and home shop.

A small business might make a go of it with agressive marketing, but I don't see much future for it.

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I had actually thought about getting one of these for my Hobart but I only have an 80cuft bottle so whats the point. I can carry that thing anywhere. Still it's a bummer they discontinued them because I wouldn't mind having one.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Why can't you guys just make your own kits and post up how you made in order to help everyone out ???
Personal I buy a tank with the screw type adapter and then attach a flow regulator then right to the machine ..

Ranger wrote:Why can't you guys just make your own kits and post up how you made in order to help everyone out ???
Personal I buy a tank with the screw type adapter and then attach a flow regulator then right to the machine ..
What???

Would you be kind enough to show us your set-up???

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Some places don't like filling them - but I've used all sorts of sizes of diving cylinders for gas - argon - argon mix - oxygen - sometimes filled locally - some I decant from a new full size BOC cylinder - I try to paint them the relevant color for the gas in use - ours are sized in liters volume & you can use a aluminum 3 liter as a convenient mini carry cylinder for occasional Tig etc - many adapters are available if you don't fancy making them - often found in sporting goods shops for pre charged air guns - obviously respect pressure ratings of all components & take extra care if decanting - respect anything high pressure & keep filling hoses clean - not recommended for amateurs ! but it's a viable option & safe if done sensibly !
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Why not just go to Harbor Freight and buy their 20 cf Argon tank for $90 and have it filled where you buy your sheilding gas. Seems portable enough for me, and the price is reasonable. The cylinder doesn't care if it's filled with Argon or some mix of your choosing. It should give around 45 min. to an hour of welding. Have them pull a vacuum on it every now and again to keep the moisture down to a minimum. No special regulator needed as it's fitted with a CGA 580 valve just like your full sized cylinders are.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:Why not just go to Harbor Freight and buy their 20 cf Argon tank for $90 and have it filled where you buy your sheilding gas. Seems portable enough for me, and the price is reasonable. The cylinder doesn't care if it's filled with Argon or some mix of your choosing. It should give around 45 min. to an hour of welding. Have them pull a vacuum on it every now and again to keep the moisture down to a minimum. No special regulator needed as it's fitted with a CGA 580 valve just like your full sized cylinders are.

Len
Len,
Very valid point. I actually have one with a trimix I use for portable jobs. It gets filled with whatever I am in the need for. Good point.

Ranger,
I might go to my LWS and see what they would have to make it work, but I don't think I will invest any money in it. For me the small 20 cf works fine. If I find anything out I will post it.
-Jonathan
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
Braehill wrote:Why not just go to Harbor Freight and buy their 20 cf Argon tank for $90 and have it filled where you buy your sheilding gas. Seems portable enough for me, and the price is reasonable. The cylinder doesn't care if it's filled with Argon or some mix of your choosing. It should give around 45 min. to an hour of welding. Have them pull a vacuum on it every now and again to keep the moisture down to a minimum. No special regulator needed as it's fitted with a CGA 580 valve just like your full sized cylinders are.

Ranger,
I might go to my LWS and see what they would have to make it work, but I don't think I will invest any money in it. For me the small 20 cf works fine. If I find anything out I will post it.
-Jonathan
What is LWS ??
I understand there are better way or more efficient ways but I was offering replace build for the Hobart kit only..

My plan if I was going to build it would be ...
Buy a 20oz tank and a paintball remote line and flow regulator with some fittings and Teflon tape..
I would mount the flow meter either to the machine or the tank not sure.. Then attach the hose with either quick connects or the normal fitting its up to you ..This is just a basic setup will have to be fitted together ...

Ranger
Local welding supply
-Jonathan