mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

I'm not talking about 3G or going up a pipe. I'm going to do work experience for school at a place that makes earthmoving equipment and I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of fillet runs at an angle that needs to be welded uphill or some other weird positions that will need to be done uphill. How is this done? What settings are used? Anything else I need to know about going uphill? Thanks in advance.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

This sounds like a pretty good work experience, Chad.

Now, first things first. At the work site you will be allocated a "supervisor", a skilled person to show and explain -- especially when you ask for help. They will also let you run a few practices, before you do anything new to you. Let it all happen: listen, talk up when you don't know, and give it your best shot.

Second, I don't work with the material you find on heavy machinery, so I will let others offer you advice here. In my light fabrication work, all the changes I make for vertical up are in the hand. That is, I find I don't have to adjust the welder, just my gun angle(s), travel speed, placement of the arc, etc. And, it is all different each time.

My golden rule is, "make the puddle, see the puddle, steer the puddle up". I do what I must with the gun to make that happen.

I look forward to reading what some of the heavy duty welders here have to suggest.

Enjoy the work experience.