mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
bilt2spd
    Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm

I am looking for some suggested settings for using .025 solid wire to weld 20, 18, and 16 gauge metal. The calculator that Jody posted is inaccurate for thin metals. I do not have a chart inside the welder because I have a Miller D52-D dual wire feeder and an XMT 304 CC/CV power supply. Looking for actual settings that people have used with success. Thanks.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

bilt2spd wrote:I am looking for some suggested settings for using .025 solid wire to weld 20, 18, and 16 gauge metal. The calculator that Jody posted is inaccurate for thin metals. I do not have a chart inside the welder because I have a Miller D52-D dual wire feeder and an XMT 304 CC/CV power supply. Looking for actual settings that people have used with success. Thanks.
Joint configuration/position?
bilt2spd

Mostly 1" square tubing, t and butt joints, all positions, and welding sheet metal to it.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

For T- and butt-joints using 0.023" ER70S-6 on 16ga, I have previously used 270 IPM/17.5V ±15% depending on a couple other factors. I don't do much below that thickness
bilt2spd

That's what I was looking for, a good starting point. Thank you so much.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'm assuming you're using 75/25 not Co2 right? I might add that you often need to increase your travel speed signifcantly on thinner metal, and it really helps to do short runs, because you'll often blow suddenly blow through 4-5 inches into your weld even though you had the same stickout and travel speed because the surrounding metal heated up.
    Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Which gas are you using? That would be helpful to know. Also I agree with the Oscar's starting point suggestion. You can try that and tweak a bit from there. Which machine do you have and do you have fine tuning settings available?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

good point about the gas.

high argon mix is better for thin stuff.
90/10 or 93/5/2.
tweak it until it breaks