mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello all, I'm just a hobbyist welder. presently I use a lincoln 225 ac stick welder. whenever I watch these car fabrication shows, they're either using mig or tig welding. I might want to invest in another welder for welding thin stuff, but because I only do this occasionally, don't want to invest a lot of money into this. I'm contemplating a flux core welder, but I was wondering if flux fore is just as strong. also, what's with these show guys welding without gloves? I was watching the guy on custom garage mig welding a body panel sans glove. Is he that good, or do mig guys have super powers?
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Hey there,

It may help to mention what your budget is. I'm not much of a mig guy but I've been looking to get into a mig machine myself for my home shop. I can share with you what I understand that may help you out.

Firstly, flux-core that is not NR232 or NR233 should never be used in a structural or safety application. NR211 is probably what you would see in a home depot welder and is banned for all code work. That being said you are likely not doing code work, but it is something to keep in mind. Ex. Is this thing I am welding on going to be put into service with certain loads that may cause it to break? What happens when it does.. etc.

That out of the way, don't let that stop you from grabbing a flux core if that is all that is in your budget. I'm sure you'll learn quite a bit from using it. Flux core wire is primarily used when shielding gas is not available, such as an in the field application, or when shielding gas would be blown away by the wind. A proper mig would be a good idea if you plan to grow into it. You can run flux core wire and proper hardwire from one. Some more budget friendly machines like the Lincoln 210MP can run dual shield 71M which gets you similar weld properties as an ER7018 stick electrode.

Lastly, welding with no gloves is not the smartest thing. It exposes you to hot material, potential burns, and UV/ABC radiation. People do it because they're to lazy to put on gloves, simple as that.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A decent (even used) 110v MIG welding machine is a better buy as it too can often run Flux Core wire. Hard wire MIG is easier for a Hobby welder to use fir thin material, though thin material is challenging for everyone, MIG or TIG.

You'll need a 75/25 gas cylinder, helmet, and wire and you're off to the races. Id suggest using 0.23 wire for Hobby stuff, especially if it's thin. A 110v welder will struggle to put a quality bead into material thick enough to warrant 0.035 wire.
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

burnttoast wrote:Hello all, I'm just a hobbyist welder. presently I use a lincoln 225 ac stick welder. whenever I watch these car fabrication shows, they're either using mig or tig welding. I might want to invest in another welder for welding thin stuff, but because I only do this occasionally, don't want to invest a lot of money into this. I'm contemplating a flux core welder, but I was wondering if flux fore is just as strong. also, what's with these show guys welding without gloves? I was watching the guy on custom garage mig welding a body panel sans glove. Is he that good, or do mig guys have super powers?

I am in the same boat as you, hobby welder, but WITH my toys. I have always wanted to learn to weld, played with my grandfathers old arc welder when I was younger, ( i just turned 55). I finally got a place where I can have some toys and first one I bought was a Lincoln easy mig 180, best I could afford, then I wanted a plasma cutter, bought an Amico Cut50, price was right, reviews good and I wasn't doing high quality/ high production stuff, just me playing around. My last purchase was an AHP AlphaTig 201xd. The alphatig was purchased for a few reasons, 1) my tombstone is an AC/DC Lincoln but needs 50 amps to run properly, I only had 30 available, I am selling it now because the alphatig does arc welding also, even came with a stinger. This has all been done within the year and I am happy as can be with all my machines. Now I just need to learn to use them... good luck and have fun.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I can't recommend enough to take a class at your local CC.

Great way to get hood time for cheap, and access to really helpful and knowledgeable instructors. Pick a process you want to learn and remember it's about you learning not getting a good grade and since its a hobby, you don't need to give a shit what grade you get! If you are interested changes are you will do well anyways.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It all depends on the actual definition of "thin". Too thin and too cheap of a flux core welder = not enough heat control = you're either too cold and laying down pigeon poop, or you're too hot and burning right through. Again, it all depends on the actual definition of "thin" in this context. It helps to not be too general, as specific info is the best info when it come to welding.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

burnttoast wrote:Hello all, I'm just a hobbyist welder. presently I use a lincoln 225 ac stick welder. whenever I watch these car fabrication shows, they're either using mig or tig welding. I might want to invest in another welder for welding thin stuff, but because I only do this occasionally, don't want to invest a lot of money into this. I'm contemplating a flux core welder, but I was wondering if flux fore is just as strong. also, what's with these show guys welding without gloves? I was watching the guy on custom garage mig welding a body panel sans glove. Is he that good, or do mig guys have super powers?
i'll make it easy. get a mig not a flux core welder. with a mig you can use fluxcore (assuming it comes with the right rollers for it) but a "fluxcore welder" cannot mig.
fluxcore welders are cheap nasty cut down migs. imho only suitable for throwing in the bin.

mig spatters less than stick so you only get burnt now and then. but UV is not good for you so i always recommend gloves.
tweak it until it breaks

tweake wrote:
i'll make it easy. get a mig not a flux core welder. with a mig you can use fluxcore (assuming it comes with the right rollers for it) but a "fluxcore welder" cannot mig.
fluxcore welders are cheap nasty cut down migs. imho only suitable for throwing in the bin.

mig spatters less than stick so you only get burnt now and then. but UV is not good for you so i always recommend gloves.
I agree, and I'll add one more thing. Get a MIG that has infinitely variable voltage and wirefeed speed controls. I feel that is a huge key to getting a running start, as opposed to limited, step-controls.
burnttoast
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for all the responses. Guess I'll be checking to see whats available out there. I have both 120v and 240v in the garage. so power is not an issue. maybe I can look for a dual purpose machine that does both as one poster said. sometimes I'm welding 16 gauge sheet metal. Thanks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Step control is a hold over from a variable tap transformer power source. Newer stuff/ even cheaper new stuff with a digital readout or just a range gauge will have basic controls giving a better outcome.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake

Oscar wrote:
I agree, and I'll add one more thing. Get a MIG that has infinitely variable voltage and wirefeed speed controls. I feel that is a huge key to getting a running start, as opposed to limited, step-controls.
+1
you want good control. its only the really cheap migs that have step controls.

it pays to to spend a decent amount on a mig. i'm not saying you have to get top brands, just something thats not bottom end junk.
tweak it until it breaks

I will also add, that having used both entry-level transformer-based MIGs, mid-level inverter MIG, and higher-end inverter MIGs, inverter based MIGs definitely have an advantage with regards to puddle control and ease of use, IMO.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I have a transformer based Mig with 7step voltage that I bought new when 18 years old - now I'm well into my 50's and it still works the same as it always has - also got a transformer air cooled ac stick welder bought new aged 12 still working - I don't see anything wrong with them ( also got some 2nd hand big stuff from the 60's )- had several inverter welders ( not cheap hobby ones either ) & they have not lasted well ( 2 dead - 1 still in for repair )- so they are nicer to use yes - but they are an expensive luxury - if your earning good money with them you can accept the lifespan issues - for hobby use I'd avoid them - you can learn to weld with the old stuff - if you progress & really want to throw money around then by all means go my a multi process - but starting out it should be possible to get an older machine cheaply 2nd hand that's fine for learning on for small projects - only thing I would avoid like the plague is those 90 >130 (ish) amp flux core only things with 4settings as Oscar said the 2 low settings are way cold & the high 2 will burn through sheet metal too fast .
tweake

the only new transformer machines i could get over here are those cheap bottom end migs.

a few old ex-commercial mig machines up for sale, but most places only sell them when they are totally worn out. power source probably works fine, its everything else thats worn out and parts no longer available.
tweak it until it breaks
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I manage with just an AC DC 225 Lincoln tomb stone and the hobart handler 135. Between the two I can do everything I need to do including car panels. I found that by taking my time I can get away with .030Flux core on thin panels. A piece of copper 3/4” flattened water pipe held on the back helps greatly! It’s not easy though and it’s messy but I can get by without the gas and 023. Would I do that if I did this often, No way. It is very nice to have the option of using gas if you absolutely have to do something very thin and not make a mess of it.
You can find decent FC welders on Craig’s list all the time for cheap. Why not try one make sure it’s working ok then save your beans towards something like a HH 140 on sale sometime later on . Then you can sell the old one for what you paid for it later on. Whatever you get I would make a serious effort to keep it covered when you’re not using it. Keeping it UP off the floor helps greatly! The amount of dirt that gets in these things if they’re left sitting on the floor is incredible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tweake

drizler1 wrote: You can find decent FC welders on Craig’s list all the time for cheap.
theres a good reason there is so many for sale and i would not call ANY flux core machine "decent".
tweak it until it breaks