mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Welding Bear
    Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks Mike. So although a tad ugly :lol: they're not too bad?

:)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Its all about progress. I mig every day, and still look at past welds and think, what the hell??. Do you weld with two hands? That will help immensely.
Welding Bear

I didn't bother telling anyone cos I didn't think it relevant. But I actually only have one hand. You weren't to know. :)

I kinda support the gun with my arm whilst holding it with my right hand to pul the trigger.

I actually think I'm quite steady but I don't tend to weld the metal flat. . . I put the ground clamp on and i find myself having to adjust gun angles to compensate for the angle. What I'll try and id is get big piece of steel and ground clamp that. I'll then be able to have the work piece dead flat. I'll post up results prob after Xmas ;)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@Welding Bear,

These guys are pretty forgiving with the lack of parts and pieces. They didn't make fun of me too bad after I shot myself and they cut my leg off :P I normally bring it upon myself though :lol:
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

WB,
Check out this rest from Stronghand Tools

http://www.stronghandtools.com/strongha ... ndrest.php

Might work while welding flat.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Len,
Not to be a wet rag but I made one of those copying the picture and dimensions. I used some UHMW for the slide and it was horrible. That angle at the bottom of the rest (not the angle on the table) needs to be longer. When you try to move it will fall over and feels unbalanced. If you have access to UHMW or roller bearings I would just make one. I guess I should watch what I say because I have not used that particular one.
-Jonathan
Welding Bear

@GreinTime..... yu shot your leg off???
Welding Bear

@Braehill.

Thanks very much for that mate. That looks just the ticket for what would help me. perhaps making one as a first very small prject instead of purchasing??? :)
Welding Bear

ps guys, one last thing (sorry to bang on)... have any of you checked out a channel on youtube ChuckE2009? He has some awesome welding projects fom bbq's to beefy car bumpers. he's really clear in explaining stuff and ive found it a real help in addition to everything you guys have helped me with of course :)
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Yeah, he's on the "other" welding site though.
I'd give him am A for effort, but have seen some things and thought "wtf?"

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
Welding Bear

Yeah i do know what you mean.

The jack stands build scared me :o
Welding Bear

Ps, one more thing i'm interested in.....

Why do more than one ''pass''? i understand that you lay a bead. and then lay another bead over the top. presumably this is to get a stronger weld. but surely this has the effect of travelling too slow... i.e. you just build up on the existing bead and dont improve penetration at all? and all youre left with is a weld that needs some hardcore grinding down!?
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Welding Bear wrote:Ps, one more thing i'm interested in.....

Why do more than one ''pass''?
If you are asking about fillet welds, then the answer is...a fillet weld is measured but the length of the legs and then the throat. If a drawing calls for a 5/8" fillet weld, you obviously cannot put that down in one pass with the exception of maybe SAW(submerged arc welding). Sometimes you have to weld multiple passes to achieve the weld size that the drawing is calling for. Stacking multiple passes is a skill that needs to be learned at some point, but I would suggest learning to put down excellent single pass fillet welds first. Paying attention to make sure the root is tied in well and that the profile meets all of the visual acceptance criteria.(no overlap, no undercut, no porosity, no cracks...etc.)

Keep in mind that some of the self shielding flux core wires are limited to single pass welds only due to the fact that cracking can occur because they are not alloyed enough to handle the extra dilution that happens in multi-pass welds, but that is another topic for another time.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
Welding Bear

Thanks JWright for that explanation.

That makes complete sense. i think this confirms that my understanding of ''multiple passes'' was incorrect. youre saying that you add passes next to each other as opposed to on top of each other? :)
jwright650

Fillet.jpg
Fillet.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Welding Bear wrote:add passes next to each other as opposed to on top of each other? :)
Well, not exactly...maybe a pic will help.
John Wright
Welding Bear

Right mate, i think i understand. they kind of interlink and theyre between ''on top of each other'' and ''next to'' .
GreinTime

Welding Bear wrote:@GreinTime..... yu shot your leg off???
Yes, for lack of a better explanation, I did. And in case you hadn't put it together yet through perusing other topics, Braehill is my father. And he is the worst about ball busting lol.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

@GreinTime Were you trying to cut out the middle man by doing the job yourself???
GreinTime

Yeah, pretty much ;) I actually didn't shoot it off, it died and they removed it lol. But it's easier just to say I shot my leg off, it leads to a simpler story haha
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

Saves on shoes.
jwright650

weldin mike 27 wrote:Saves on shoes.
LOL...you guys are crazy :lol:
John Wright
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

His clean socks last twice as long now too.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Welding Bear

Holy moly. Well, at least it don't stop you welding! :)

Haha, I get jokes too.... I usually buy things at the second hand shop etc :D :D :D
GreinTime

Yeah I normally don't have a leg to stand on ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Welding Bear

:D :D :D :D :D