mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
motomarty22
    Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

So this is the test we had to take this week and it is horrible. Was wondering if anybody has ran this before and if you have do you have any tips or pointers? This is my first time using this forum but figured I would try it cause I don't have anybody to ask about this, everyone I've talked to says they haven't ever heard of a test like this. The people at work aren't used to running this either it's new for everybody there, we run 1/16 dual shielded flux core, burn rods, or hand squirt weld everyday, and the solid wire doesn't run anywhere near what the flux core does so would appreciate any help I could get thank you for your time.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Hmmmmm, honestly say I have never taken that one. Shouldn't be to difficult down hand, I have welded a lot of API pipe procedures down with the 5P and Flux Core. Not so sure I could do it going up without triggering it in. If I get time I will give it a whirl Monday. Out of curiosity, what kind of work is calling for that?
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
motomarty22

The bad thing is they want it ran uphill. Trying to get new work into the shop it's some sort of jack for airplanes not really for sure on details nobody has really told us much other than what the test was. It's terrible I'll put up a pic of my attempt at it. Yes I know it looks like Fido went number 2 on it, so take it easy on me I'm trying to figure it out.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
motomarty22

Oh also this is the first 6g cert test I've ever taken not much of a pipe welder most of the stuff I've ran is structural plate. Only like the 3rd time running butt joint on pipe. Most of the pipe welds I make are welding flanges on so its all flat.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Dial in your settings and techniques on flat plate practice pieces.

The pipe increases the difficulty so it should be practiced last in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

It appears it is smaller pipe.....ok this wont be that bad, you are better off being in the 6G than the 5G for this.....The pictures you are showing shows the least important part at this point, the open root will be the trick here. The rest like Minnesota said will be machine setup and just zipping around it with two of three stacked stringers after you get the root in. How are they testing it? NDE or Heartbreaker?

And there is no shame in your game for stacking orange dots if you do it correctly, but I am guessing they are going for speed.

PS: Forgot you said you weren't familiar with 6G. Don't overfill your hot passes (if there will be any), slightly under fill so you can see the edge of the lower pipe. Do the bottom first and use that edge for a guide. Then just use it for a shelf for the next, so on and so forth. Tilt up a little so you don't droop, kind of like you are welding flat on the shelf and let it overlap the lower by about a 1/3"
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
motomarty22

They are X-ray testing, there was a backing ring in there too so it wasn't open root. I got a few pics of the root already in it if you would like to see.

X-Ray? Oh you got this........From the pics you are running to much wire and and hanging around to long. Set the machine up to produce a nice 1/4" wide bead. How many volts were you running?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Did they give you a WPS for this test? If not, they certainly should. Someone had to qualify the procedure before they could establish pass/fail criteria for the test, and if the customer requires welder qualification, a WPS is a must. This will give you upper and lower limits for voltage and wire speed, which will get you in a range that's been proven to make this weld.

The backing ring is a big help. Open-root hard wire is a test I've only taken once, and it was a real challenge.

I can't add anything to the technique suggestions Dave and DLewis gave.

Steve S
motomarty22

They did not give us a wps at all it's a weird situation that nobody understands, I won't bore you guys with all that corporate crap. I got some help from a friend today on running the solid wire uphill on plate, then setup a some 2" coupons and I ran a few mock test and the results aren't great but much improved I think. It's weird tho we ran .030 solid and we set it 18.3V 147wps and it laid in good sounded like it was falling on its face the whole time but worked better than before. The actual test I ran .035 at 21.4V and 241wps. Also still trying to get the hang of changing position so much, gonna take a while but gotta be able to do it. Good thing I like a challenge haha.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

Oh yeah, you are definitely going to get it, looking better by the pass. And you are correct, the smaller the pipe the more wrist articulation. You get on big pipe, a guy on each side welding, it's not like welding a round pipe at all, plenty of time to adjust angle.

I'm impressed. That's definitely a large step in the right direction!

The voltage/wire speed you gave sounds quite cold (at least for 75/25 gas), but I can't argue the results. What gas mix are you using?

If your employer will allow you the time, it would be informative to cut that pipe into strips or at least quarters and etch them, to prove you're getting fairly even penetration at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Against the cost of a shop full of busted x-rays, I'd be looking at the practice pieces in as much detail as I could muster.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

No WPS. Sounds like you might be a test mouse. Bet they write a WPS based on your settings if you pass.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:No WPS. Sounds like you might be a test mouse. Bet they write a WPS based on your settings if you pass.
Good point. The whole shop may be the guinea pig here to develop a procedure, and the client may even be shopping several places.

Alternately, the shop may be trying to get ahead of the game before the client has issued the specifications, but this could backfire... If the client issues a WPS and what you've been practicing is way out of their spec, you now have to "un-learn" what you're doing, as well as learn the approved procedure.

I'd love to know what standard the welds must meet. I can rule out API and AAR, but without details... A jack for aircraft... If it's hydraulic, ASME could apply, and they have no pre-approved GMAW procedures. AWS D1 does, but this may be a unique case.

Thinking out loud... Will love to know where this goes.

Steve S