mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
SchoolDaze
    Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:07 am

Has anyone used the GSS gas saver hose from NetWeld? I've looked at their videos and read their literature, but I still can't figure out how it will cut my gas usage. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Never used it, but I have a guess as to the theory. Argon occurs as an atom, rather than a molecule, like O2 or N2, and a typical oxygen hose like i use is semi-permiable to such a small object as an argon atom. (I've dealt with this in helium systems. That stuff will sneak out of anything.) A hose of denser construction would bleed less gas through the hose jacket.

I suppose if you had a 100' hose under pressure 10 hours a day, it might make a noticable difference in gas consumption over time.

Steve
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Here is a relevant thread:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... ?f=5&t=744

Hopefully after reading that you will understand better how the GSS product works, by reducing the volume of the space between the needle valve in the flowmeter and the solenoid. IMO, it's not necessary to buy the GSS product to achieve a similar affect. The GSS has some orifice but I doubt it's necessary or helpful. The GSS looks like a nice product, and if you don't mind its cost, by all means go for it.

If you want to achieve a similar affect on the cheap, the first step, if you have 1/4" ID hose between your flowmeter to TIG machine, is to change it from 1/4" ID to 3/16"ID (readily availalbe) and also shorten it to be no longer than you need.

I've had good results with the "hose inside a hose" setup in the above mentioned thread, which brought the ID down to 1/8", but it was not easy to pull off. I do figure it has saved me some gas. It's also nice because I can turn the pre-flow down while still being able to strike a stable arc, compared to before.

Oh almost forgot, another way to save gas is to switch (if you don't already have one) to a flowmeter that uses a low internally regulated pressure. For example, switch from a flowmeter that uses a 50psi or 75psi internally regulated pressure, to one that uses a 30psi internally regulated pressure. A flowmeter's internally regulated pressure is not always advertised but you can measure it by putting a pressure gauge on the outlet of the flowmeter when it is at zero flowrate.