mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Angusbass
    Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Learned how stick weld first. Now looking into a mig welder to learn the process. I don't have anything specific to use it for, but I'd like to have one around to use on future projects. Questions: What is a mig welder mainly used for? I have the impression that mig welding is for thin material. What would be a good starter mig welder? Something that will weld up to 1/2" if possible. Should I go new or used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

in most cases mig welding is for thinner material, however the hulls of ships at NASCCO ship repair facility down the street from me are welded with fluxcore. the size of the wire and the voltage of the machine can allow for usage of thicker materials.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Respectfully disagree. Mig as the ability to weld thin metals, but with a roll of 1.6mm wire and a 500 welder you are limitless. Flux core can take over when alloying elements or out of position work is needed, (mig goes out of position, but it takes a decent amount of skill)

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Angusbass wrote:Learned how stick weld first. Now looking into a mig welder to learn the process. I don't have anything specific to use it for, but I'd like to have one around to use on future projects. Questions: What is a mig welder mainly used for? I have the impression that mig welding is for thin material. What would be a good starter mig welder? Something that will weld up to 1/2" if possible. Should I go new or used?

Hobbist welder or are you making money out of it.
Power supply 110 or 220 volt available?
As with any welder buy the biggest and best you can afford, look for something around 200 amps or bigger, especially if are considering welding aluminium with it.
New or second hand, up to you really and what the difference is between the new and used unit in price, warrenty is another thing to consider.
I'm in Australia so I'll leave the make recomendations alone.
I have found a mig useful on thinner material eg down to 1.6 mm which was why I bought mine, I have also welded up to 13 mm with the same 150 amp machine, so they are versitile.
Which imo is a good enough reason to get one :mrgreen:
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Angusbass
    Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 pm

I have both power supplies available. Hobby at the moment. Make some money. But don't survive off welding. Not yet at least. 200 amps should be enough for me. I was looking at the Lincoln 210 mp.

soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Angusbass wrote:I have both power supplies available. Hobby at the moment. Make some money. But don't survive off welding. Not yet at least. 200 amps should be enough for me. I was looking at the Lincoln 210 mp.

You really can't go wrong with the 210mp. Also allows you to try all 3 welding processes. Even if you need a bigger machine at some point, keep the MP for mobile work or set it up with .023 wire for sheet metal. Have your next machine for the big stuff. It's an addiction, be warned