mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
nightraintoparis
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm looking for a technique to flux core weld a flat circular bottom on a circular tank. Every try the bottom cups and ruins the plate flatness. 48" .250 wall, 316 Stainless.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's part of why the ends of cylindrical vessels are either concave or convex. The weld around the circumference contracts like a noose.

If you must have it flat, or nearly so, there are some things you can try.

Have you solved your problem yet? If not, reply and I'll try to help.

Steve
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Are you trying to keep the plate flat so you can stand it up on end and still be sturdy?? There are quite a few ways to achieve this. Have you figured it out yet?
if not give us a post and we will be more than happy to help.

Anthony
TheExpert

Whole set of stainless of stainless steel cistern can produce the stainless cistern which is the 520-3200mm of diameter, and 0.3-12mm of thickness. Microprocessor control and multi-tap arrangement in transformers allows selecting precise parameters for welding various parts.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,y

All I know is that stainless distorts like a filthy mo fo. You could try tack welding some heavy stainless strongbacks (bars at least 12mm x 50mm) across the width on their edge. That might hold it. I know its an old post but this might help someone else.

Mick
weld08
    Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:26 pm

If you have to weld inside and outside of the seam you could try backstepping the beads and doing one bead on the inside and then one on the outside or brother in law it.