mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Was wondering If anyone could recommend any good mig welders for just basic repair work and basic fab work I have a stick welder already but am looking for something that will possibly speed up the time it takes to build. I mig weld at school every day and use the Lincoln power mig 350 but I don't have that kind of money to go buy one. I do have a 230v plug and the thickest I will probably be welding is 1/2" or less an possibly something with a decent duty cycle so I don't have to wait awhile when I hit it.
Thanks,
Zach
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

I use the Lincoln 180C, a 240 v, 15 amp supply, 180 amp out machine, though I do only FCAW, and only on steel.

The welder is at its limit on 13 mm (1/2") steel, but it is perfect for the material up to that size. It seems to sizzle really easily, if you follow Lincoln's guidelines. It seems to weld hot. I had to change my approach a bit to do this, but I figured Lincoln probably knew a bit more than me about welding. So, read the chart, use 12 mm stickout, and hang on, for its going to be fun.

For some reason it is sold about $200 - $300 less than I would expect, looking at the alternatives. This has been the case for about 12 months. Are they running out the model? They have a handyman inverter alternative at 180 amp.

One thing you need to be aware of is the gun, which is a bit lighter than I was used to, and it can be almost "lost" in your hand. This means it takes a while to ensure you have full control of starting a bead. But I am used to it now, and it is no longer an "issue". On the plus side, it has a longer than usual lead back to the welder, and this is really convenient.

I have used quite a few welders, owned a few, too, and I would buy another Lincoln 180C today if mine was stolen.

Another welder I really liked was the Hobart Ironman, but we can't buy them anymore. We can't buy the smaller Miller's, either.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AnvilJack wrote: ...I would buy another Lincoln 180C today if mine was stolen...
I'd be happy to help you get that new welder.... Where do you live again? :lol:

Sorry... Couldn't resist.

Steve S
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

AnvilJack wrote:I use the Lincoln 180C, a 240 v, 15 amp supply, 180 amp out machine, though I do only FCAW, and only on steel.

The welder is at its limit on 13 mm (1/2") steel, but it is perfect for the material up to that size. It seems to sizzle really easily, if you follow Lincoln's guidelines. It seems to weld hot. I had to change my approach a bit to do this, but I figured Lincoln probably knew a bit more than me about welding. So, read the chart, use 12 mm stickout, and hang on, for its going to be fun.

For some reason it is sold about $200 - $300 less than I would expect, looking at the alternatives. This has been the case for about 12 months. Are they running out the model? They have a handyman inverter alternative at 180 amp.

One thing you need to be aware of is the gun, which is a bit lighter than I was used to, and it can be almost "lost" in your hand. This means it takes a while to ensure you have full control of starting a bead. But I am used to it now, and it is no longer an "issue". On the plus side, it has a longer than usual lead back to the welder, and this is really convenient.
I have used quite a few welders, owned a few, too, and I would buy another Lincoln 180C today if mine was stolen.

Another welder I really liked was the Hobart Ironman, but we can't buy them anymore. We can't buy the smaller Miller's, either.
The iron man looks like a good welder I've seen a few videos on it and just need to save up and get it I guess haha
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
Jake Matthew
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I've owned a few different ones. Currently a Millermatic 252 and 350P, but I've had 251's and an older 210's. You can find used 212's and older 251's for decent prices. Just have to look everyday, so it kind of gets old. The 210/212's aren't going to weld your 1/2" in a single pass, but they are 60% around 150/160 amps. The 251/252 would serve you better if you do a lot of 1/2". I just seen a 251 not too long ago that came with a spool gun too, guy wanted 1200 obo. Seen 210's go for 700-800. All depends on the cash flow. Just make sure if you buy used that you run it for awhile before buying it.

Get Craigslist pro on your phone/computer and you can set which areas you want to search and what key words to search for. It will alert you when someone posts an ad for what you are looking for. Saves a lot of time and looking. My 2 cents anyways. Good Luck
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hobart migs are second to a couple brands ;)
They are good quality, nice arc, good parts, and can be picked up pretty reasonable.
2 cents
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

It just occurred to me to point out, if my memory is correct, that the Ironman has a 9 step voltage setting knob. The Lincoln has a continuous voltage control knob, which I really wanted when I went shopping. (It is not so important now that I just do as Lincoln tell me, most of the time.)

That might make a big difference to you.

The Ironman also has the best instruction / specification manual I have seen for a welder.
fireguy268
    Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I have a Miller 211 and it's perfect for the stuff I do. I don't run it for a business but hardly a week goes buy that it's not fired up welding something. It has Continuous Voltage adjustment which was important to me. It also has the multi voltage plug (MVP) so it will run on 220 or 110 so I can take it places that only has 110v if needed. It's fairly portable although I wouldn't want to walk too far with it. It's rated for 3/8" per pass and for the few times I've cranked it up to weld 3/8" it handled it no problem. My neighbour is a retired Iron worker and can't believe how smooth it runs.

I bought it shortly after it's release and it was around $1500 tx included from Praxair here in Canada. That included the spool gun which does a pretty good job on aluminum. I'd buy another one in a second.
Dennis

Miller 211
Miller LMSW 52
Thermal Arc 186
Thermal Dynamics CutMaster 52
Victor Oxy/Propane