mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
sledmaster48
    Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Every time I get the welder started it shuts off my breaker . Don't know what to do , please help if possible. My new welder is a xtreme power 100mig. welder says it a 1-110v 60Hz welder plugged it in to 15amp and 20amp breakers won't run but few seconds before it popps breaker.
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

Does it trip while attempting to weld or just power on not welding ?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Im going to move this topic to the mig forum, that will attract more attention.

This area if for posts about feedback on the forum its self.

Mick
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

It sounds like your A/C circuit may be of insufficient amps to accommodate this welder. Rule of thumb is you need 10 amps of circuit for every 50 amps of welding current. So if you're trying to run a machine at 100 amps you need a 20 amp circuit. The new inverter rigs require less amps at around 8-9 amps for every 50 amps of welding current. Your welding machine should be labeled with the required input voltage and amps too. There are other conditions that can effect this as well. If you are using too light of wire gauge for the length of the circuit you're running you will draw more amps. Also if you're running an extension cord you will have the same problem, especially if it is a light gauge cord like the type used for running a garden tool.
Caution needs to be taken when working inside the breaker panel. There is more than enough voltage and current in there to easily cause a fatality. If you are not well versed in this area, find someone who is, or take the time to educate yourself. Like I said, a mistake here could result in severe injury or death.
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
sledmaster48

The welder shuts off after I start welding shortly after . I have had to add more breakers to fuse box , and change over to new wiring in a house with old wire. Some one told me old ao breakers can wear out . Tried to weld on 15amp and 20amp still no luck, welder say it will run off 115 regular outlets but does not seem to work.
Nils

What does the label on your welder say for input power??? (115 volts ?? amps) Sounds like you have the right voltage. Are you on a 15 or 20 amp circuit, it can't be both? What power setting are you running the welder at, Max, Medium, Lowest?
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Is it possible that the breaker is being used for something other than your welder at the same time? All those amps add up and if the breaker is overloaded, its going to trip. Try the welder at a friend's place, just to quickly eliminate the possibility of a faulty welder. Also, I'd be curious to know what your actual voltage is reading at the input connector to your welder. If you have a volt meter, take a reading.
sledmaster48

I've tried 20 amp and 15 amp at differ times tried to weld with .035 think now that I bought .030 I will try that. Maybe I'll try plugging into washer outlet nothing else is on that line. learned to arc weld in high school about 30 years ago,I'm non great but all I have is a buss box from the 1980's. Would love to learn to weld with this thing XTREME POWER MIg does not have gas flux core. It say's 1-110v 60Hz don't know if that meens anything. Have a volt meter don't know how to use.
Nils

Seriously dude, I would get rid of that machine while it's still worth something. I can't even find the mfg for it. Get yourself a nice used Millermatic 140 Auto-Set for less than $600 and your set.

Also, you fall into a category of most folks; they just don't know very much about electricity. And for most folks that's okay, they don't really need to have much knowledge in this area. But for a welder, it's essential. I would strongly recommend educating yourself on electrical principles, especially in the area of volts and amps. This is very basic electrical theory and essential knowledge for today's welder. I'm sure you can do this online and it shouldn't take too much of your time. But learning the basics will take you a long way. Also, learning how to use that volt meter is going to solve a lot of future problems for you.

I think there are three elements that make a good welder. The first is knowledge, not just the knowing but also being able to learn new things and by keeping an open mind. Second, is dexterity with your hands and eyes. All the knowledge in the world is useless if you can't transfer it to your hands. And lastly, are good tools. You must possess not only the proper tools, but they must be of good quality, functional and reliable.

Like many things in life, there are those who can do most anything, but then there are those who do it well.
    Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

I'll try and help but the advice has been pretty good. To find out wither the welder has the problem or it a voltage issue in your home I would take the welder to a place with up to date wiring and give it a try. I wouldn't be surprise the thing hasn't went the way of most those kinds of machine's. :o Let me know the outcome.