mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

I had a questions from a bloke regarding ESAB Coreshield 8 wire. He said about it causing birth defects and cancer, I have a feeling that this is " the labeling boogey man" stating the worst case scenario, but just incase it isn't, is it really that much worse than any other wire? And if so, is there a better/ safer alternative? I read that Hobart XLR-8 is in the same class?

Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Instinct ( no scientific back up ) tells me this is pure bullshit - here in the UK we are saddled with the worst of every stupid Euro regulation that Brussels can invent & the warning labels on anything now are laughable if it was'nt plain sad - all welding consumables for some time have this blanket warning on as they give off fumes - said fumes over a prolonged time & used in confined spaces are obviously not good for you - they try to word the warnings so that the manufacturer is not liable for any insurance claim because naturally we all have massively powerful fume extraction - weld in aircraft hangar size buildings & wear air fed respiration ! ( yea right ) - of any process cored wire gives off the most volume / density of fumes therefore it is the worst offender - I seriously doubt that any given make is worse than another - just take reasonable precautions.
I'm fairly sure I'm not going to give birth with or without defects ! & all welding fumes are considered carcenogous - if it worries anyone that much - quit welding / ban all cars / crop spraying / paint products / aerosols / red meat ( list goes on ! )- live on lettuce - yea - we all got to die sometime! it could be tomorrow - or it could be another 50 years. - I would say don't snort asbestos is still valid though - so when your an apprentice blowing trailer brake drums out should be avoided if possible.
Va Welder
    Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 am

Noddys right its all bad for you. If your really concerned get a safety mask. In my exp the worst stuff comes off the base metal paint, dirt, asphalt, galvinized and any number of things depending on where and what your welding. I dont know any old welders who dont have breathing issues. Plus the 2 packs of smokes and pint of whisky a day didnt help them lol.

Hey,

Thats pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the opinions. Problem is, when people believe these warnings and they to to work scared that they are going to sprout a second head from their old fella.

Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well at risk of drifting off topic - if you did grow a " second head " I reckon you'd get some well paid work in the " entertainment industry" - welding could become just a hobby ! - heck - you might even make more $/ hour than Otto !
Did'nt risk posting a link here - but on another " special interest " website there's a woman with 3 boobies - do you suppose she welds with flux core ? !
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

We have our share of that bullshit going on...

There are a stunning number of products that are "Known to the state of Calilfornia" to cause cancer, so I dont use them in California.

Shakespeare was right... Let's kill all the lawyers, let's kill them tonight!

Steve S

Hey,

That would an added bonus to growing extra bits, but sadly the those problems are rarely that much fun.

Thanks fellas.
    Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

:D Come on guys you being very kind to California as every chemical including salt get the label. :roll: You can't take a breath in the state due to the crap that they put air and they worry about a welding rod. :lol: Born and raised SF and actually can read, write and add my toes together. OH that right I learn before the new reading and the new writing and someone above help me and the new math where 2+2 might not be four! :mrgreen:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

:lol:

Comic Bo Burnham has a great little song called "new math"

Warning! "R" rated!

http://youtu.be/_nMFOPfvDlc