mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Drowstiq
    Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Everyone!
I only know about stick welding and right now I have a 200 amp overseas stick welder that dose everything I need it to.

I want to learn how to MIG weld and am starting to look around at a few even though I am almost illiterate when it comes to MIG...

My main question is (1) what is the amp conversion for stick/Mig. - to weld what i need 180 amps on a stick welder do i need 180 amp MIG?

And also \/
(2) I dont have it but in Stick welding there is ARC force to get more penetration if needed - Is there something similer I can look for in a mig welder or is the consept that diffrent that that is not needed?
(3) I dont need a top of the line welder but what are some decent brands besides Hobart and Lincoln?

Any feedback is appreciated,
Thanks - Peter.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Your welding current for MIG is a function of your set voltage vs. wire speed, and "arc force" doesn't apply.

MIG equipment is generally sold based on it's thickness capacity, but beware. A machine that says it can weld 3/8" may only be able to do that for ten minutes at a time. (Duty cycle.)

If you are accustomed to using 180A, that equates to some heavy rod. I rarely burn a 5/32 7018 above 150. I'd look at the Miller 250/251/252 series for their specifications, and use that for the basis for a machine. (If you have the coin, that Miller is a GREAT machine. If not, it's specifications will get you in the ballpark for the current you want to weld at.)

Steve S
Drowstiq

thanks for the reply.

Looked at the Miler 252 and the Hobart and Lincoln equivilent and I need to get some more cash it looks like :shock:

I looked on Ebay and 250-300 amp Migs are around $1,400 - $1,800 so I might be able to get one in 2-3 months...

Thanks for the feedback :)
Peter
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

How thick of metal are you planning to weld? 180 amps is really high for stick, but I have found that amp settings can be subjective according to the shop/power supply/welder that you are working with. I would recommend something like the Millermatic 212 or something similar from one of the other major companies unless you have needs beyond their capabilities. I have used a combination of mig and stick on many projects over the years. Stick on the thicker sections and mig on everything else. I guess it all depends on your needs.

Kevin
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I bought a used Millermatic 210 for $1200 on consignment in a Welding shop.
Then, a week later I found a second one for $40 from the scrap recyclers. (for spare parts)
http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1325k_mil.pdf

Miller makes great machines, so if you can get one, you won't go wrong.
(BTW - Hobart makes a similar product, as both companies are owned by ITW.)
Drowstiq

Hi again,
Dose anyone have any thoughts on the fabricator 252i 3 in 1 welder?

I use 180 - 190 amps for 6010/7018 4mm thick.
+ I am working off of 110 volt most of the time soooooo....(stick welder is a 110/220 optional and cant always have 220)

Peter.

Drowstiq wrote:Hi again,
Dose anyone have any thoughts on the fabricator 252i 3 in 1 welder?

I use 180 - 190 amps for 6010/7018 4mm thick.
+ I am working off of 110 volt most of the time soooooo....(stick welder is a 110/220 optional and cant always have 220)

Peter.
I have a problem with those numbers. 6.35 mm = 1/4", which calls for, at most a 1/8" (3.175 mm) rod. In 6010, I'd be at 105A MAXIMUM, and 7018 120A MAXIMUM.

Your machine is either misleading you, or is AC only, or is malfunctioning. I do this professionally,and have for many companies, with their equipment. Never the same machine twice, and strict QC. 180A would blow holes in 4mm with most machines I've used.

Steve S
Drowstiq

The recomended Amps is 120 - 160 for the sticks and since I am on 110 most of the time and my machine is not quality I weld at 180 amps A/C and no there are no Wooshing sounds or excesive splatter.
If i remember right I use around 120 amps for 3MM witch is at the top of the 80-120 amp range on the packet.

These are the numbers I have and the welder I know in RL on his machine uses 180 amps for 4mm and he has been welding for 30 years...
btw the rods/Sticks are 4mm thick-actual metal is 1/2 inch if maybe you read it wrong.

Peter.
reddtigger
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

First off do you need dual voltage or one that will only work on either 110 or 220..

I recently purchased the Millermatic 212 with Autoset and the Spoolmate 200 spool gun. Should cover anything I really need to ever weld.. But it's a solid 220 only machine. I looked into going with the 211 with it's MVP (Multi-Volt plug) but I didn't like the duty cycles compared to the dedicated 220 machine. but the 211 will weld thick (3/8') steel, just at a short duty cycle on 220v..

What about the Multimatic 200 multiprocess welder. Mig/Tig/stick.. ?? under 2k with the optional tig kit.
Just learning...... welding noob

Drowstiq wrote:The recomended Amps is 120 - 160 for the sticks and since I am on 110 most of the time and my machine is not quality I weld at 180 amps A/C and no there are no Wooshing sounds or excesive splatter.
If i remember right I use around 120 amps for 3MM witch is at the top of the 80-120 amp range on the packet.

These are the numbers I have and the welder I know in RL on his machine uses 180 amps for 4mm and he has been welding for 30 years...
btw the rods/Sticks are 4mm thick-actual metal is 1/2 inch if maybe you read it wrong.

Peter.
Yes, I misread. With the rods at 4mm, those amps make much more sense.

6010/7018 are DC rods (DCEP), so 180 on AC makes more sense, as well. For AC use, 6011 will give better results, and there is a rod called "7018AC", the difference being primarily in the flux for both.

The SAE equivalent for 4mm would be 5/32", which I use 140-150A for on DC.

Steve S
Drowstiq

reddtigger wrote:First off do you need dual voltage or one that will only work on either 110 or 220..
I weld in the Dairy and Machine barn in diffrent places so if I had to I could wire in 1 or 2 more 220 plugins.

It looks like I am going to buy a used welder just because the new ones are alot of money :(
miler 200 multi process welder/generator is around $800-$1,400 so a bit better then the $2,200 new price tag...

Sorry for the misunderstanding Steve - Ill post it diffrent next time.

Peter.