mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
CentralOhDIYer
    Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Hello welders!

I'm new to the welding community and recently grabbed a Harbor Freight Flux 125 welder for an unbeatable price. Since it came with Auto Darkening Lincoln Electric Helmet, 0.35 wire, and gloves I picked up a Harbor Freight welding cart and the Pittsburgh welding clamp set. With my outfit complete I started an account here and posted my intro.

Now that that's out of the way, I took some scrap floor pan metal from a ThirdGen camaro and cut it in half. Tried welding it back together... COMPLETE DISASTER, 95% blow-through. Back to the drawing board, scoured YouTube and found the best advise ever. Find a body shop, etc and see if they have scraps you can practice with. Took this advice and by golly a local shop gave me a Spot Welding hands on crash course using their 120V AC MIG equipment. Learned more in 45min than many many hours of YouTube Vids. FIRST off they're using Gas, more importantly they used 0.23 MIG wire... that combo I was told was "industry standard" for Autobody & Exhaust work. I don't think there was a Flux-Core machine on site!

A few days later... I found this Cambell Hausfeld 115V MIG/Flux combo welder model # WG2160. Unit new $250ish, found on Craigslist for $150, Seller accepted $100. This should be easier on my practice ThirdGen Sheetmetal. Now I just need a small tank. Let me know what you think of the Welder, if you've had any experience with it, etc. Funny thing I was told to "scrap" the HF welder, I didn't respond because I assumed they were being a douche :? HOWEVER they must have been kicking knowledge from many years of experience.
CentralOhDIYer
Campbell Hausfeld MIG/FluxCore Welder Model # WG2160
Size #3 - 80CuFt 75/25 Mix Main Tank
(2) Size #1 - 20CuFt 75/25 Mix Portables
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Welcome!

I can't comment on either the HF welder of the Campbell Housfeld unit, but noticed a couple of things.

First off, don't feel too bad about what happened with your first experiment. More often than not people try their hand at welding on stuff that's either way too thin, or way too thick and it doesn't work well. My first attempt at TIG welding stainless was on thin wall pipe to sheet metal....I cursed a lot that day!

A couple of other things: One, the auto body shop's MIG would have been DC, not AC (all MIG is DC). Two, flux core actually gives better penetration than sold wire with gas, so that makes it harder to use on thin metal. Three, .023" wire really does work a lot better on sheet metal...I don't use it much, but keep a spool around just in case.

I wouldn't worry about the machine. Get a bottle of 75/25 (argon/Co2) and burn some wire...you'll learn what you want/need pretty quickly.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
CentralOhDIYer

G-ManBart wrote:Welcome!

I can't comment on either the HF welder of the Campbell Housfeld unit, but noticed a couple of things.

First off, don't feel too bad about what happened with your first experiment. More often than not people try their hand at welding on stuff that's either way too thin, or way too thick and it doesn't work well. My first attempt at TIG welding stainless was on thin wall pipe to sheet metal....I cursed a lot that day!

A couple of other things: One, the auto body shop's MIG would have been DC, not AC (all MIG is DC). Two, flux core actually gives better penetration than sold wire with gas, so that makes it harder to use on thin metal. Three, .023" wire really does work a lot better on sheet metal...I don't use it much, but keep a spool around just in case.

I wouldn't worry about the machine. Get a bottle of 75/25 (argon/Co2) and burn some wire...you'll learn what you want/need pretty quickly.
Thank you for the feedback & encouragement. What's the CHEAPEST route to obtaining one of these sm/med size tanks under $150? Can I buy a med size Co2 tank (Craigslist/FB Market/OfferUp) and have it filled with the 75/25 (argon/Co2)? One bottle at retail seems to cost more than I've invested in 2 welders and all accessories :-(
CentralOhDIYer
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

CentralOhDIYer wrote:...........

A few days later... I found this Cambell Hausfeld 115V MIG/Flux combo welder model # WG2160. Unit new $250ish, found on Craigslist for $150, Seller accepted $100. This should be easier on my practice ThirdGen Sheetmetal. Now I just need a small tank. Let me know what you think of the Welder, if you've had any experience with it, etc. Funny thing I was told to "scrap" the HF welder, I didn't respond because I assumed they were being a douche :? HOWEVER they must have been kicking knowledge from many years of experience.
now you understand why friends don't let friends buy fluxcore welders.

i don't know that mig but it looks like about the simplest, bottom end as you would ever want. note the amount of voltage adjustment on it. really cheap nasty ones only have two or four voltage adjustments.

learning to weld with a stick machine is still the best way. if you see a decent one grab it.
however mig is not to bad if someone can show you what to look for and how to avoid the pitfalls. mig is not as simple as it looks.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I just watched a video on the harbor freight welder. The titanium? We don't have them in Australia. But it definitely welds, but don't be too hard on yourself. The low end machines have a a tough time starting, and that's going to be difficult on your dirty old floor pans. Get some 1/8 hot rolled flat and keep practising.
CentralOhDIYer

weldin mike 27 wrote:I just watched a video on the harbor freight welder. The titanium? We don't have them in Australia. But it definitely welds, but don't be too hard on yourself. The low end machines have a a tough time starting, and that's going to be difficult on your dirty old floor pans. Get some 1/8 hot rolled flat and keep practising.
No this was the Chicago Electric Flux 125 unit. I also saw many vids online of people doing pretty good work wit them, just on much thicker material. The bodyshop gave me a stack of 22ga patch panels to practice with, spot welding went ok w/ the flux 125 but a lap-weld (I think they call it) blew the edge off. As soon as I get an adapter for this regulator, for use on a Co2 bottle, I'll be trying some gas welding.
CentralOhDIYer
CentralOhDIYer

tweake wrote:
CentralOhDIYer wrote:...........

now you understand why friends don't let friends buy fluxcore welders.

i don't know that mig but it looks like about the simplest, bottom end as you would ever want. note the amount of voltage adjustment on it. really cheap nasty ones only have two or four voltage adjustments.

learning to weld with a stick machine is still the best way. if you see a decent one grab it.
however mig is not to bad if someone can show you what to look for and how to avoid the pitfalls. mig is not as simple as it looks.
I get the point on buying fluxcore welders, they have their place, just didn't end up being flexible enough for me. The Campbell Hausfeld is a economical "Starter" MIG found at Menards or Home Depot. I bought it based on cost and increased flexibility over the Flux 125. Uses the same 120V, produces roughly the same Amp output, and adds true MIG functionality with gas connection and ability to run 0.23 wire. I never considered Stick Welding, I always liked the idea of wire feed welding. I'll periodically call over to the shop that gave me the crash course, and if they have time swing by for some constructive criticism. Might even take my welder over to get it dialed in, then again might go w/ trial and error. They should sell bottles of welding gas like they sell propane I know that. Why must I go to a specialty store????????
CentralOhDIYer
tweake

CentralOhDIYer wrote: I get the point on buying fluxcore welders, they have their place, just didn't end up being flexible enough for me. The Campbell Hausfeld is a economical "Starter" MIG found at Menards or Home Depot. I bought it based on cost and increased flexibility over the Flux 125. Uses the same 120V, produces roughly the same Amp output, and adds true MIG functionality with gas connection and ability to run 0.23 wire. I never considered Stick Welding, I always liked the idea of wire feed welding. I'll periodically call over to the shop that gave me the crash course, and if they have time swing by for some constructive criticism. Might even take my welder over to get it dialed in, then again might go w/ trial and error. They should sell bottles of welding gas like they sell propane I know that. Why must I go to a specialty store????????
fluxcore welders don't have many good uses. yes there is a few pro's you have one for the odd thing but really the main purpose of them is to separate you from your money.
they are just a stripped down mig to the point of it being next to useless.

you don't take a welder over to get it dialed in. you need to dial it in for every different weld you do. migs are for production work, set it once weld all day, lots of welding the same thing.
not all that useful for me as i tend to do lot of different small stuff. quicker to use the stick or tig. however bigger projects, take the time to dial it in and then weld all day.
ie great if you weld body panels all day. right pain if you go from body panel, to chassis, to tow bar. (different wire, tips, settings etc).

one common thing you see around is people that set the machine, move their arms at the right speed and presto a weld. trouble is they can be absolutely crap because they don't look at the puddle and see whats going on.
if you can't see you can't weld.
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

weldin mike 27 wrote:I just watched a video on the harbor freight welder. The titanium? We don't have them in Australia. But it definitely welds, but don't be too hard on yourself. The low end machines have a a tough time starting, and that's going to be difficult on your dirty old floor pans. Get some 1/8 hot rolled flat and keep practising.
can't be any worse than the bosswelds :lol:
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've heard of people who are impressed with boss weld. But I think it's the machines above that crappy entry level.

I got told that the unimig viper 120 is a cracker of a machine.
CentralOhDIYer

Made some progress overnight. Scored a small Co2 tank for $14 on FB market. Local welding supply store swapped it for a Sz # 1 - 20CuFt 75/25 replacement, full w/ the RIGHT valve for $58 (refills $19). So now my regulator fits, no adapters needed. $72 in is FAR cheaper than $150+ from Tractor Supply Co. They also had some Washington Alloy Co Mig welding wire for $4.50 a 2lb spool so I grabbed some 0.23 & 0.30 to practice with.

Only hold back now is the regulator doesn't have a tip for freggin the gas line. Home Depot didn't sell a nipple/tip/barb or whatever this piece is the end of the hose pushes onto. Contacted the seller and they claimed to have the piece needed, and they have a Olsen Co2/Argon HF regulator ($70+) w/ the visual gauges they'll sell me for $30. They said could meet today so I'll see if they come through.
CentralOhDIYer
    Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

CentralOhDIYer wrote: Scored ... a Sz # 1 - 20CuFt 75/25 replacement,
If this gets a little small for you, there is a guy between Cleveland & Akron on FB & CL who sells bottles full of mixed gas pretty reasonable. I think I paid $150 for my 120 cubic foot bottle.

After you use for a while you'll figure out what works for you. Just don't pull my dumbass move and leave a fresh bottle turned on when you finish a project on Sunday night. The next Saturday morning I had about 200 psi.

Cheers, Alan
CentralOhDIYer

The seller came through, I hooked everything up yesterday and laid 7 test beads. 7 very poor short beads, didn't blow through the metal though so for my true 1st time welding I'm impressed and excited. Set my regulator to 12. I did have to disconnect the regulator & Teflon tape all threads and nearly He-Man the connection to stop a leak before starting. I didn't like the fact when I was done and closed the tank valve, the regulator still showed pressurized so I had to drop a glob weld to release pressure. With both gauges zero'ed I put the machine up.

I'd post a pic of my FluxCore vs MIG starter welds, but don't know how.
CentralOhDIYer
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For hard wire MIG, you want 25-35CFH for gas.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

CentralOhDIYer wrote:The seller came through, I hooked everything up yesterday and laid 7 test beads. 7 very poor short beads, didn't blow through the metal though so for my true 1st time welding I'm impressed and excited. Set my regulator to 12. I did have to disconnect the regulator & Teflon tape all threads and nearly He-Man the connection to stop a leak before starting. I didn't like the fact when I was done and closed the tank valve, the regulator still showed pressurized so I had to drop a glob weld to release pressure. With both gauges zero'ed I put the machine up.

I'd post a pic of my FluxCore vs MIG starter welds, but don't know how.
For most MIG hard wire you want twice that much gas flow....try 25CFH and see what happens. You might be able to get away with 20, but you might wind up getting better results at 30...just depends.

Actually, having the gauge still show pressure after you've closed the tank valve shows there isn't a big leak, so it's a good thing. No need to weld anything...just hit the trigger and hold it for a couple of seconds and the gauges will drop to zero.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
CentralOhDIYer

G-ManBart wrote: For most MIG hard wire you want twice that much gas flow....try 25CFH and see what happens. You might be able to get away with 20, but you might wind up getting better results at 30...just depends.

Actually, having the gauge still show pressure after you've closed the tank valve shows there isn't a big leak, so it's a good thing. No need to weld anything...just hit the trigger and hold it for a couple of seconds and the gauges will drop to zero.
You're the 2nd poster to tell me that, I was going only off the Tig vs Mig settings on the regulator. 12 got me out of the Tig area and onto the 1st line in the Mig range. Didn't want to blow through gas being a noob, so i started on the low side.
CentralOhDIYer
CentralOhDIYer

SusKatCas wrote:
CentralOhDIYer wrote: Scored ... a Sz # 1 - 20CuFt 75/25 replacement,
If this gets a little small for you, there is a guy between Cleveland & Akron on FB & CL who sells bottles full of mixed gas pretty reasonable. I think I paid $150 for my 120 cubic foot bottle.

After you use for a while you'll figure out what works for you. Just don't pull my dumbass move and leave a fresh bottle turned on when you finish a project on Sunday night. The next Saturday morning I had about 200 psi.

Cheers, Alan
From 3K + psi to 200 psi as a loss, that day would have been FULL of cursing. My local supplier would have charged $110 to upgrade from 20CuFt to a 40CuFt Tank. So after reading your post I hit the marketplaces again, found an ad for a $20 Scuba Tank. Contacted the seller and they had 2, picked em up today. $40 investment for (2) Sz # 3 - 80CuFt Tanks, unbeatable to me. Now once my mini bottle runs out I'll take in the 80's and pay the $30 Swap Fee + Fill cost.
CentralOhDIYer
tweake

CentralOhDIYer wrote:
G-ManBart wrote: For most MIG hard wire you want twice that much gas flow....try 25CFH and see what happens. You might be able to get away with 20, but you might wind up getting better results at 30...just depends.

You're the 2nd poster to tell me that, I was going only off the Tig vs Mig settings on the regulator. 12 got me out of the Tig area and onto the 1st line in the Mig range. Didn't want to blow through gas being a noob, so i started on the low side.
is it in cubic feet or litres?
tweak it until it breaks
CentralOhDIYer

tweake wrote:
My regulator shows L/Min where the numbers start. Litres?
CentralOhDIYer
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

CentralOhDIYer wrote:
tweake wrote:
My regulator shows L/Min where the numbers start. Litres?
Yes, liters. So 11-12 lpm for MIG is minimum. 14 lpm would be high end of your need.
CentralOhDIYer

Let me try posting a pic...

1st & 2nd attempts (Might have to right click the photo and open in new tab/window)
CentralOhDIYer
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

CentralOhDIYer wrote:Let me try posting a pic...

1st & 2nd attempts (Might have to right click the photo and open in new tab/window)

There fixed it for ya. Just needs to be resized to about 0.55MP.
CentralOhDIYer

Take 2?

Are the Google Drive links not valid? I resized down to 0.25MP...
Last edited by CentralOhDIYer on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CentralOhDIYer
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

CentralOhDIYer wrote:Take 2?

Are the Google Drive links not valid? I resized down to 0.25MP...
No, the way they are copied, they are not valid. But I know how to do it. 8-)

CentralOhDIYer

Oscar wrote: No, the way they are copied, they are not valid. But I know how to do it. 8-)
Thank you!
CentralOhDIYer