mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WeldItUp
    Thu May 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Good morning all. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything, or welded anything to be honest, but I knew just where to come when I needed some advice. I’m helping a coworker build some 4’x10’ frames out of 3/16” mild steel angle, and the top of the frame we mitered. The bottom of the closed part of the frame we coped the joints (all only cut for prep so far). The lower 1 1/2’ of the frame legs will be in the ground, with a 6” gap between the ground and the closed base of the frame, which is why the coping was necessary to close the box. The “open” side of the angle frame will have rebar mesh panel (?) (like for using in a concrete form work). The goal is to make 10 trellis type vertical panels for helping conceal some outbuildings on a ranch. The panels will hopefully have beautiful vines and flowers growing all over them by the time my friend retires [emoji2957]
So now the question - finally - if we want the flat part of the frame to show towards where most people would view it, the “nicer, finished” side, should we weld the seams from the inside open area where the panels will be tacked in, or still from the outside and then ground down to a flat finish? Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to paint the best picture I could of the purpose and end goal. Advice is very welcome and always appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I’d weld them both sides that way you still have plenty of joint strength after grinding the visible side flat.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
WeldItUp

[quote="Coldman"]I’d weld them both sides that way you still have plenty of joint strength after grinding the visible side flat.

I feel kind of silly, but in my head it seemed like welding one side would be enough, and the finished side would stay as a tight fitted joint in appearance. It’s just inexperience talking/thinking, which is why I asked. Thanks for the reply.

Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You always want your welded joint to be stronger than the parent metal with reinforcement. You have to think about what’s going to happen in the future. In this case once the frame is covered in plants it’s going to rust. You don’t want your welds to rust out first. Let the parent metal rust out first, then you’ve done a good job.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
WeldItUp

Makes perfect sense. I really appreciate the feedback. I will post up a few pics once we’re done. Have a great evening

tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

a tight joint will simply rust inbetween and even new it doesn't look all that nice.
so i would weld both and grind the good side down to a nice finish.
tweak it until it breaks
WeldItUp

Thanks Tweake for the additional feedback. It’s just a learning curve for now, but all the info and support is greatly appreciated!