Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Recently I've used a aluminum oxide flap disk to clean aluminum and stainless steel for tig welding. It did wonders for cleaning and made the aluminum shine and no white residue. I was curious if this was acceptable for professional use or just stick to wire brushing for professional work and flap disk for practice beads.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:Recently I've used a aluminum oxide flap disk to clean aluminum and stainless steel for tig welding. It did wonders for cleaning and made the aluminum shine and no white residue. I was curious if this was acceptable for professional use or just stick to wire brushing for professional work and flap disk for practice beads.
I use one all the time but don't use it on mild and then stainless as it will imbed particles into the stainless and they will rust. Dedicate a wheel to SS only.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I used 3m Scotch brite roloc pads on a die grinder to clean the edges of aluminum sheet metal if it is dirty from the water cutting that we use. They last a while and clean the aluminum to a great finish.