Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I am building these shelves for my wife. My next step is to weld the shelf skins on. They are .062 sheet and I have .125 holes every 6 inches for plug welds. My plan is to start on the bottom shelf in the center of the shelf and weld either side. Then move up to the next shelf repeat and so forth. Then back to the first shelf. Is this a good plan to control heat and warpage?

Brian
Brian

Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
Everlast 255EXT with W300 cooler
Hobo Freight 170 MIG Welder
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Clecos will make this a breeze.

http://www.amazon.com/Boulderfly-Cleco- ... B008PJYUTA

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens

I am already committed to welding them in place. I want the attachment to be invisible.

Brian
Brian

Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

So that is the beauty of clecos. These are like temporary rivets. When you depress the button on the back it extends two prongs which you push through the hole. When you release, the spring pulls back and locks the layers together. So in your setup, you'd put them in all the holes and then remove them one at a time to weld that hole. That keeps everything in place for you without needing piles of huge clamps to weld around.
clecos
clecos
Rud-24.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 532 times
They mostly see use in airplane manufacturing but they are great for patch panels in cars too.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens

That makes sense now. Looks pretty slick!

Brian
Brian