Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

So I recently ordered a Weldcraft WP9 air cooled flex head torch for my machine. Just wondering how many people here have used a #9 air cooled. I really wanted a 20 water cooled but tool budgets don't allow for me to buy a water cooler setup. Most of my work is exhaust, intercooler piping and roll cages so I am hoping it can cope with that type of work. Really my main concern is scorching my hands after a short time. I have no idea what to expect because all I have ever used is an air cooled 17.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

You will like it. I have The CK 9 flex head air(gas) cooled and the 20 flex water cooled.Use series 2 and series 3 head that interchange on both.Series 3 extends amperage range on both.
The 9 with the 2 head gets used most. I do similar type work.
Also occasional use of the micro torch.
Attachments
DSCN0733.JPG
DSCN0733.JPG (83.37 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

If you mainly are below 130-150 amps I can guarantee you will never use that 17 after trying a 9 ;)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a 9 that's just standard for my scratch start rig and I can run about 3 full rods of 1/8 70s2 at 120-150 amp before I let it cool. I have pushed beyond that point but I've burnt up 2 of them. One melted in the head between the gas valve and the collet body. The other at the threaded gas connection under the handle.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

Thanks guys! Definitely making me feel better about my purchase. Really the most amperage I run is about 150 amps on roll cages but at that amperage I manually pulse.
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

In my CK9 tig torch manual, the 100% duty cycle for the series 9 torch is 125 amps. I looked up the WP9, and it too has the same 100% duty cycle.