Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Since I am new to TIG welding and have become pretty damn good at regrinding tungsten's due to frequent dipping :roll:

There have been a few times when I have to totally remove the collet to get the tungsten back in the torch. I noticed the o-ring that seals the back cap is getting beat up. Sometimes it is up on the threads when I remove the cap. Is there a hi temperature lube of some kind I can put on the o-ring to help keep it in the groove? Any tricks you guys have?

And what kind of o-rings are these that stand up to the temperatures in the torch. I want to order some to have replacements.
Brian

Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
Everlast 255EXT with W300 cooler
Hobo Freight 170 MIG Welder

melsdad wrote: There have been a few times when I have to totally remove the collet to get the tungsten back in the torch. I noticed the o-ring that seals the back cap is getting beat up. Sometimes it is up on the threads when I remove the cap. Is there a hi temperature lube of some kind I can put on the o-ring to help keep it in the groove? Any tricks you guys have?

And what kind of o-rings are these that stand up to the temperatures in the torch. I want to order some to have replacements.
Not sure why this would happen, anyway the o-ring should be available as a replacement part from your supplier.

Viton o-rings are good up to 400°F
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

100 % silicone o ring lube from Grainger is what I use on o rings that may see chemical or high temp service. Made by jet lube. Down side is its 75$ a tube. And it will collect lots of grinding dust and nastyness in a place where you don't want it!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Silicone Plumbers Grease. Cheap at Lowes. Your regular O-rings should hold up to heat just fine unless your melting your torch and then you have more to worry about than o-rings :lol:
Last edited by exnailpounder on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

LtBadd wrote:
melsdad wrote: There have been a few times when I have to totally remove the collet to get the tungsten back in the torch. I noticed the o-ring that seals the back cap is getting beat up. Sometimes it is up on the threads when I remove the cap. Is there a hi temperature lube of some kind I can put on the o-ring to help keep it in the groove? Any tricks you guys have?

Not sure why this would happen, anyway the o-ring should be available as a replacement part from your supplier.

Viton o-rings are good up to 400°F
The first place I went was CK's website to get a part number for the o-ring. Unless I am missing something I don't see the information. There are exploded views of the torch with the o-rings visible, but no particular call out of the part.

So how hot does a 250 amp water cooled torch get? I'm guessing 400° is plenty.
Brian

Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
Everlast 255EXT with W300 cooler
Hobo Freight 170 MIG Welder
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

melsdad wrote:So how hot does a 250 amp water cooled torch get? I'm guessing 400° is plenty.
That end of the torch, I'd be surprised if it saw half that.
Different story on the business end.

melsdad wrote:
The first place I went was CK's website to get a part number for the o-ring. Unless I am missing something I don't see the information. There are exploded views of the torch with the o-rings visible, but no particular call out of the part.

So how hot does a 250 amp water cooled torch get? I'm guessing 400° is plenty.
Have you asked your LWS? It seems odd that your having trouble with this o-ring. Screwing the backcap on and off shouldn't be an issue that would damage this. Call CK and ask them for a part number, it seems the o-ring comes with the backcap
Richard
Website
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Usaweld.com (HTP) has them on hand if you call them not on there website. There was a discussion awhile back ago on orings that might help you.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=7383
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Brian I'm pretty sure I have a pack of them, of you PM me your address I'll drop them in the mail. I'm in York County, PA..
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

melsdad wrote: The first place I went was CK's website to get a part number for the o-ring. Unless I am missing something I don't see the information. There are exploded views of the torch with the o-rings visible, but no particular call out of the part.
The CK Worldwide Part# 200R is for the o-ring that fits the back cap of the CK20 and other 2 series torches.

The part number can be found in the upper-left of page 3 of the CK20 TIG Torch Manual.

200L, 200M, and 200S are the CK Worldwide part numbers for the long, medium, and short back cap assemblies.