Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Tried using pure for the first time, no changes in the machine but what I noticed was the arc start was jumping all over the place for a few seconds before I got a stable arc.

Using Cerriated it never does that, with absolutely no changes in the settings, literally I take one out and put the other in without even shutting off the machine.

Settings were flow set about between 18-20 and amps about 185.
Using a #8 cup with gas lens.

Anyone else get this, it is like the arc dances around inside the cup for a few seconds before connecting to the work-piece.
Doesnt happen with the Cerriated . :?:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Perfectly normal for "pure".

To cut it short, start the arc aggressively... Mash it, and back off when it stabilizes. It's a practice/technique thing, but it works.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Is your machine an inverter or transformer? Miller doesn't recommend pure for their inverters. Before I had an inverter I used pure for aluminum and I would describe things just the way you do. Pure sux compared to most other tungstens. I switched to thoriated or lanthanated on my transformer and it worked great. Only a tiny ball at the tip and a much more stable arc. Now that I have an inverter I use any kind of tungsten I grab out of the box except pure. Threw them away.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

The machine is a dialarc 300/300HF. Old school transformer.
I am used to being able to start the arc slowly with the Ceriated so used the same technique for the pure. it was the only one I had in pure form so thought I would give it a shot.
Tossed it into the trash.

Going to stick with the grey tungsten, will try and get a stick of the 2% lathenated just to try it.

Thanks for the feedback.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You will do fine with ceriated on your transformer machine. There is nothing special about Lanthanated except it is a good all around electrode. Break some rules and experiment with other tungstens. As I said, I had good luck with thoriated and lanthanated on my transformer machine. Tiny ball and great arc control. Post up some pics when you get a chance. Best of luck 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

I would recommend zirconated tungsten on aluminum with a transformer machine. I have always had better luck with it on aluminum. Seems to be a little smoother then pure if that makes any sense.