Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Practicing my titanium TIG welding. I'm a hobbyist, just toying around for now. I wanna give a shout out to Zank for his contribution to my titanium tig welding. ;)

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Looks like Zank's tips are paying off...

Kym
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I have to weld some titanium at work from time to time. I usually have some color around the welds. I was wondering if that is bad and what problems it could cause.
Freddie

big gear head wrote:I have to weld some titanium at work from time to time. I usually have some color around the welds. I was wondering if that is bad and what problems it could cause.
The straw and blue colors are due to the Ti not being shielded until it's cooled to 800F or less, if its gray or very dark blue then this is worse. If you're welding to a code or customer spec then they should say what is acceptable, usually a straw color would be accepted.

If the part is for a corrosive environment the contamination would effect the service life of the component.

Here is a chart form Miller's website.
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... -practices
Attachments
table2jpg.jpg
table2jpg.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Richard
Website
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

The parts that I weld are used in acid. That is why they are made of titanium. I just get some straw and medium to light blue. Titanium does make some pretty welds and it flows very easily.
Freddie

big gear head wrote:The parts that I weld are used in acid. That is why they are made of titanium. I just get some straw and medium to light blue. Titanium does make some pretty welds and it flows very easily.
Yea it's very easy to weld, the gas shielding is the big difference. I had some production Ti parts to weld that were thick enough I could weld these outside of an argon chamber, the thickness of the part drew the heat away quick enough that the gas lens provided all the shielding needed.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

LtBadd wrote:
big gear head wrote: I had some production Ti parts to weld that were thick enough I could weld these outside of an argon chamber, the thickness of the part drew the heat away quick enough that the gas lens provided all the shielding needed.
That right there is what sucks about tig welding thin titanium tubing, in a sense. No where near enough metal mass surrounding the weld head that you have to have some kind of heat sinking if you wanna get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

I very recently welded Titanium for the first time. It was 1mm thick tubing for practice. The back side of the weld was purged (obviously) and I used a #18 gas lense. I got a tiny bit of color after my workpiece heat soaked a bit. For the most part I got a very light straw color. I found it disapates heat quickly and was allot easier to get a colourless weld.