Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

I put a gas lens kit on my wp18 torch and just looking for a little help. Don't mind the tungsten it's just sitting in torch. I'm wondering if I should have a rear white insulator also or not? Also, is the black stem or the gas lens suppose to be the device to loosen to remove the tungsten? They both seem to hold it in? Just want to make sure in not tightening the wrong piece to much.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

You always want to loosen the back cap never the gas lens or collet body. If you do when you tighten it back down you risk damaging and twisting the collet.

Most kits require the insulator.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Which has lens kit are you using? Stubby? Medium? Large? Some kits come with single insulators that can be used singly, some others you have to double up on them. It would help if you are specific

For the tightening, the black back cap should be used for this. The collet body (regardless of type) should always be threaded in fully because this is what transfers the electricity from the torch head to the collet, and ultimately the tungsten. You don't want it just barely hanging in with just a couple of threads.