Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

When producing a fillet weld, what is the limit on how concave the face of a fillet weld can be? Is the limit to the point, as long as, the face of the weld does not dip below the weld's theoretical throat?

Also, what steps can be used determine where the theoretical throat would be after a fillet weld is made?
Last edited by dynasty200sd on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

They make a small metal template you hold up to the weld like a go no go gauge.
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Brand-Weld ... B001391PA6
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It all depends on what standard you are welding to. Household furniture will have a easier requirement than structural steel.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Agreed min will / should be on a print or specked by engineers. If it's not I was taught that the thickness if the center of the fillet weld and the width should exceede the thickness to the thinnest metal your joining. But rules of thumb are just an opinion.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

A fillet weld is measured by the largest inscribed isosceles right triangle. On a fillet with a flat or slightly convex face it will be the smaller of the two leg sizes. On a fillet with a concave face you need to measure the throat. The gauges Poland has linked to are pretty decent for doing that. As far as how concave a fillet can be, leg size should be specified on a weld symbol or a general note on the print. The leg size on a concave fillet beyond the largest inscribed isosceles right provides little if any strength.

John
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding