Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey guys I am looking at buying my first welder and would like some advice/recommendations. I would like an HF tig welder/stick but love to mig as well. I really don't want to lift arc tig everything. I love doing all the processes so would like to have the flexibility to all of them. Price isn't a big issue but I also don't want to spend 9 grand. Any advice would be great!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

jrouse,
Have you seen any of the videos that Jody has been doing lately with the Lincoln 210 MP. It seems to be a very good multiple platform welder that can support a foot pedal.

I personally don't subscribe to the one welder for all processes idea. I think that by doing this you are only going to get middle of the road performance out of any of the functions and if it breaks down you're out of all processes. I have my big old transformer welder that I can burn any kind of stick rod that I want as well as Tig anything I want up to about 3/8" Alumunum. I have a 180 Lincoln Mig welder to cover that end of things.

If I was starting out buying new welders to set up my home shop right now I would buy an Everlast 325EX and a Miller 211 Mig welder. If money was not an issue it would be a Dynasty 350 and the Miller 211.

You'll get many different opinions on this over brands and functions so you'll have to decide what it is that you're willing to spend and what functions you're willing to pay for.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks Len! I really don't think I'm going with one welder for all processes. I should have been more clear on the setup. I ether wanted a tig/stick and a mig welder or visa versa. Just looking for brands and setup advice. Thanks!
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

jrouse wrote:Thanks Len! I really don't think I'm going with one welder for all processes. I should have been more clear on the setup. I ether wanted a tig/stick and a mig welder or visa versa. Just looking for brands and setup advice. Thanks!
\
I would personally go with a Dynasty 200DX and the Miller 211. I have both, and they are great machines. The multi voltage plugs let you use them about anywhere. I have even ran both of mine off a 7000 watt generator. The Dynasty is great at tig and stick. It is not a machine you will outgrow! Unless you need more amps-then you will just want a bigger Dynasty! They will spoil you if you like to tig. Hope this helps. Happy shopping! Lol. I should have said multi voltage capability-the 211 has the multi voltage plug-you have to put it on the Dynasty!
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I have an Everlast 255EXT TIG that I think is a very good welder. The Everlast 250EX looks nice for the money as well and the internals will be digital in 2016. I also have a Miller 211 with the spool gun and it is a great welder for smaller home of shop jobs but you won't want to build a boat with it. Miller does not recommend the Miller 211 for running 5356 aluminum wire. I have gotten it to barely work but the wire feed speed is maxed and it still doesn't quite get into spray transfer.

I don't have one but I would recommend considering a Miller 252, Lincoln 256 or Tweco Fabricator 252 or larger as a minimum MIG welder to have any real capacity. I especially think the Tweco is worth a good look, spool guns are less expensive than Miller or Lincoln and will also do DC Tig. The Lincoln 350MP with the aluminum pak looks nice if you have a lot of money to spend.
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Oh Boy did you open up a can of worms :lol: It would have been easier to ask what welders NOT to buy :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.