Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MoonBuilt
    Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:37 pm

I have a kid needing a patch job done on a dirt bike frame. Its an aluminum frame and my main question is do I need him to strip the bike down clear to the frame so I don't destroy any electrical parts on his bike? Or would just unplugging cdi box and what nots be fine?
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Ive welded on my dirt bike plenty of times, never disconnected anything and I've never fried anything. I'd just make sure your ground is as close to the weld as you can get. If your really worried id pull the fuel tank and unhook the coil just to be safe.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Disconnect everything electrical/electronic, high frequency can kill electronic components.
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

I haven't done any welding on my frames, but I have read several times that you should disconnect the CDI box.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Never mind the 'she'll be right' advice. Disconnect whatever you can, and definitely put the earth as close to the weld site as possible.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I've welded a lot of dirt bike frames from steel to modern aluminum
take the advice of previous posts disconnect all.
i know from expense mistakes early on.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

You have an inverter welder? If so lift start and weld. And yes you can do it with aluminum.