Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jrhesch
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 pm

I seldom weld mild steel and have used 308 or 316 rod in the past for non load-bearing jobs. Would using stainless filler to weld new foot-peg mounts on my motorcycle be ok, or should it be welded w/mild steel filler?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I personally would use steel rod (ER70S2) if I had it but you can weld it with a stainless rod, and of the 2 you listed , I would use the 308. If I had to buy the stainless rod for that job, I would get 309L for it's ability to weld dissimilar metals.

I've welded seat mounts and fender brackets to motorcycles before with 308 and never had them fail, that being a streetbike, not a motorcross bike. They would see a lot less abuse than the latter.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Dblcorona
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm

You probably will be fine. Your gaining about 15ksi of tensile strength. The only issue is that the stainless will work harden which could pose a problem (but probably not), where the 70s-6 steel wire would have better ductility.