Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Yesterday was my first day of tig welding, I've been stick welding for 3 years now and woooo it's a totally different ball game lol. My problem is my travel speed, I got my angle and distance down pretty good, and I need to feed filler in a little better but my biggest problem is I go to fast (I'm guessing stick welding for so long kinda has me set in my ways) so does anyone have any suggestions for slowing down? I wasn't expecting to do an amazing job my first day but I would like some input and help
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Since you stick weld I'd say just watch the puddle.

Your speed is dictated by amps and fill rate so if you are watching the puddle penetrate, spread, and fill correctly to the size you want, you're going to travel the right speed.

If it's too slow, up your amps, go faster and feed faster. :)

Good luck and have fun - many many hours from now you'll love to tig weld.
I tell people to get through the first 100 hours as quick as you can - it's just small improvements after that. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.