Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ONDGAS
    Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 am

Hi
I'm new to tig and pretty much know nothing, I've had my kemppi for a few years and have been teaching myself as I go to see me through each little project.
I mainly use it to fab custom parts on my race car as I'd rather do it twice myself and learn along the way than pay to have it done. I'm tight like that. Any ways

I connected a foot pedal and was under the assumption you hit the pedal and the arch fires up but the only way I can get it to work is by connecting the torch connector, press the torch to imitate a arch and then use the pedal to regulate amps

Is this correct?

Sorry if this is a noob question
Rubbin' is racin' son
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, ONDGAS,

In the bottom left corner of your control panel, you should see, just above "water fill", two buttons, "Contact" and "HF". This is start-mode select. You'll want to choose "HF" for high-frequency start. Then, as you stated, you need only be close to welding distance, and hit the pedal to start an arc without touching.

I assume you've already figured out the buttons on bottom right, to select the pedal for control, or perhaps the Kemppi senses the pedal automatically...

I hope I looked up the right model. The manual I read was "less than thorough" to be kind.

Steve S
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum ONDGAS.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I haven't ever used foot pedal in Kemppi, but quicky read their manual.
You had 2T-mode on?

Operating Manual:
http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 0277,d.bGQ

Pictures from manual
Attachments
Pedal.png
Pedal.png (122.65 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Remote.png
Remote.png (71.36 KiB) Viewed 997 times
-Markus-
ONDGAS
    Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 am

thanks for the reply guys
i have installed it as per the user manual and its in 2T and HF.

i just double checked and yes-to weld i need to press the torch and that gives me my low amp setting and then i can press the pedal to go from low to high amps.

is there a chance this is normal?

Its not an original foot pedal its one that i ordered from england and the guys assured me it worked the same as the original.

im unsure if there is actually a problem or if its normal
Rubbin' is racin' son
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I have the same welding machine but with the original foot pedal.
I do not have to push the button on the torch when using the foot pedal to initiate the arc, just a push on the pedal.