Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
HitMissTom
    Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

Confused on torch type cables, and new to welding as well. The torch #17 that came with the welder has one cable that carries the argon and power to the torch. Another ground separate cable to the work.

I bought a #17 flex head torch, with cable attached, but it has 3 cables bundled together. One the argon, one for the 2T switch in the torch handle, and a ground (guess it is a ground) as it has a large plug and is a heavy wire that goes into the torch. I don't get it. The welder ground goes to the work. I don't even have a place to plug this thing into.

Tempted to either return the flex head with cable or get vary creative with the wire clippers and soldering gun.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

HitMissTom,
The short story is you may have purchased a water cooled torch and your machine is air cooled. Return the new torch and purchase one identical to the hook-up on your machine. If it is a water cooled torch, you will not be able to make it work effectively and after a short period of time, you will fry your torch.
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Sounds like you went from a one piece cable to a two piece cable + switch wire.

The two piece cable has separate power and argon.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Tom,

Can you get a handful of pics???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Did you want a remote switch on the torch? If so then it sounds like you have what you wanted but the setup is different (still compatible though). One would be a plug that would replace your pedal, one for the gas and one for the power. Even a water-cooled torch with remote trigger should have 4 total. Gas/power, water in, water out, and torch control. With all that said, so far so good.
I bought a #17 flex head torch, with cable attached, but it has 3 cables bundled together. One the argon, one for the 2T switch in the torch handle, and a ground (guess it is a ground) as it has a large plug and is a heavy wire that goes into the torch. I don't get it. The welder ground goes to the work. I don't even have a place to plug this thing into.
Cables = Argon, power, switch. Now it all depends on what machine you have (tell us) and we'll all know what adapter plug you'll need to hook it up. Not time to send it back just yet. :)
Distant planet of the Miller Galaxy.
The Blues Brothers:
Dynasty 300DX
Spectrum 375
Millermatic 180
Once you've had steak it's hard to go back to hotdogs. You can live off it but it takes like shit.