Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
NoShopSkills
    Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi. I'm new. I've enjoyed all of Jamie's videos on Youtube! Like too many newbies however, I haven't bothered to properly introduce myself, nor have I read a single post on this forum...diligently searching for an answer before I "bother" (or prove myself to) all of the long timers and admins here with my petty question... Nonetheless, I am having WELDING issues that are causing me deep frustration, anger and darn near suicidal thoughts :| If you're still with me, here's how I got to this point.

Had an old (vintage?) Miller 250AC/DC HF "heli-arc" machine. It was the mechanical commutator precursor to the Dial-Arc series. Think 1974 date of manufacture. My machine had a big heavy screw handle that moved the transformers in and out of each other to control amperage. It had no foot pedal. If you had two people however, one could change amperage while the other was welding. I used it to stick weld quite well. With wrenches I'd could swap leads and then also used it to TIG, by scratch starting! A gas solenoid would start gas flow with the arc, but there was no pre flow purge. To end a weld I would "snap" the arc away and return the torch head to the weld pool area and the post flow would shield with reasonably good results. Over the years I'd welded many projects, a few airframes, lots of car and aircraft parts, tools, repairs, etc. and generally never thought much about needing much else, because even though I'd drool about state of the art inverter machines, I could never justify buying one. Especially since I was: a) a hobbyist and b) reasonably happy with the results I got with my big heavy blue box.

When I said "Had"... it was referencing a time just a few weeks ago, before the FIRE. Burned it up welding some 1/4" aluminum angle at higher than I normally used amperages and must have exceeded the 40% duty cycle. With no integral protections, the machine went into melt down rather than shut itself off. It overloaded the breaker box then burst into flames. Darn near caught my shop on fire.

Enter the 200DX replacement I never thought I could afford. Now I am puling my hair out. My local welding shop guys were/are not very well versed in Miller's product line. They are redneck fools that just sell lots of tank gasses and wire feeders. I've never been there when they had any other customers and they have never been able to answer a tech question without calling a Miller rep and mis-stating whatever my problem was. So at best I get half an answer at a time. None the less I tried to educate myself on Miller's extremely diverse product line before buying using these guys and the Miller website. I tend to be extremely technically oriented and understand advanced welding theory, from both an electrical and metallurgical aspect. I ended up with a Dynasty package + coolmate and a fingertip controller that I hate.

I can't manipulate the silly little rotary dial from zero to welding amperage with gloves on easily. Decreasing amps is an abortion. It takes about 4 or 5 thumb swipes, all the while imparting every move and wiggle to the weld pool, melting metal I didn't intend to, or worse burning though and key holing thin stuff because I can't back off quickly enough.

Angry? Yep that too, because I pulled off a weld out of old habits tonight and thought I'd dialed down to zero, only to catch the shock of HF through my filler rod and back around to the welding table that my torch hand was resting on.

The manual spends many pages discussing programable R2, R3 & R4 advanced functions, yet Miller sends out this incredibly difficult to manipulate controller with it's packages rather than a momentary one that would work better with the programability. :? Should I have bought the foot controller package? or just throw out this finger controller and order the momentary one? or just go back to the lift arc function like I used to and just live with craters when I do aluminum and the burn throughs and wasted material because I have amps set a little off?

Suicidal? Of course I kid, but I am for sure depressed that I am have invested a large sum of cash and thought I'd be getting better welds, but tonight I made some terrible welds on some machine tool parts (steel) I am building. I have many hours of machining in the parts before I tried to weld them up and they look like dog vomit. I've rendered one junk entirely and I feel that charging for the parts will be fine but I don't want my name on them because the welds are so bad :x So I'm likely going to give them away.

I wouldn't expect to just be able to weld, simply because I went out and bought a state of the art welder, but I was getting good results with my old equipment, but now my welds suck worse than a high school shop student's buzz box stick welding on the first day of shop class.

Should I let the welder electrocute me next time I'm part of the circuit? Jump or do you guys think you can't talk me off of the ledge?
coldman
  • coldman

Hi there, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of genuinely good help here - the depth of knowledge available to us in this forum is awesome.
Its is amazing how good the old machinery was and also how robust, but times move on. You now have the 200dx which is one of the most awesome machines available today. Once you have sorted out your minor issues you will appreciate everything it can do for you.
First thing to do is throw away the daisy wheel torch - it could not possibly have been invented by anyone with welding experience. I would recommend two torch assemblies:
1 x 200amp assembly for higher amp work (aluminium) with the head of your choice - no valves or anything.
1 x CK Flexlok torch for everything else (only good for 150amp and gets hot in your hand at 130amp). The flexible advantage is well worth having.
1 x foot pedal, for shop work you can't beat it. I use the wireless model and don't regret the extra bucks one bit.

Lift tig works ok on the Dynasty but I find if you have any grey coating on your first pass or contamination on the electrode it becomes unreliable for starts. I need something else when welding pipework up in the air off a ladder or hanging by one leg. I bought a switch and lead which I zip tied to my torch and with the correct Miller plug to replace the foot pedal and run the 200dx in 2T mode (RMT 2T HOLD) which allows you to use pre & post flow, ramp up & down etc. It works great. If all you do is shop work the pedal is best.

Jody has a number of utubes using the various areas of the 200dx features which will help you enormously to understand setup. I recommend you watch all of these.

You can buy all of the above on line at good prices from places like ArcZone and many others if you need to get past zombies!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
And throw another shrimp on the barbie when you are feeling low.
Cheers,
Victor.
coldman
  • coldman

You might find a CK Flexlok torch in water cooled version that is good for 200amps, in which case you need only one torch assembly. Go to arc-zone.com and check out the range and then shop around.
coldman
  • coldman

Here is a 230amp water cooled Flexloc.
http://www.arc-zone.com/azc-scip/FL230.jpg
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I totally agree with coldman. I bought a dynasty 200dx from my LWS used about a year ago. It came with a remote foot pedal and I love that thing :D I would take the dial setup back to your LWS and see if you can get a credit towards getting a foot pedal. I think it would solve a lot of the problems and frustration your having. Jody does a review of the CK rotary switch and expresses some concern about having excess movement of the torch while trying to change the amperage. Just my $.02 hope you get something that works for you. That's the main thing.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum NoShopSkills.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
NoShopSkills

Hey Coldman.

Cant thank you enough!!!! I messed around this afternoon and learned something new. Even with Miller's silly daisy wheel, I can trigger the RT2 hold on and off!!! Solved all of my issues and gives me access to the programability side of the machine, without spending any more money on another momentary switch. Just a little opening of the rotary switch triggers the programed R2 functions. Then, shutting it down ends the cycle with ramp down and post flow. FAR EASIER than using the switch from zero to top amps like I was trying to do!

Take care man I owe ya! In your honor...I threw a few shrimps on....
NoShopSkills

Here's my significantly improved machine tool weld! Still some room for betterment as I get used to the new torch, but we're a long ways from where I was this time last night.

coldman
  • coldman

G'day cobber (mate in oz),

your weld is lookin good. Glad to be of help. Just payen it forward... :)