Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I here all the time that u should use a gas lense to get better shielding, and then some times I here a collet will work just fine :?:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50357429 ... =1&pid=1.7

when should u use a gas lense, and when will a collet work thanks

John ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm not formally trained in Tig - so this is just my opinion -

A gas lens will usually give better / more uniform shielding - usually using lower CFH of gas which is expensive & I have to pay for mine ! so I use a gas lens pretty much all the time I'm able to - I see no reason not to - I only use a standard collet body if the physical size of the lens wont fit ( in say a tube cluster joint ) or I'm welding a contaminated material likely to "spit" that will damage the screens of the gas lens - under normal circumstances if the size does hinder torch angle / placement I leave a #7 lens on for everything.
jdpflyer
    Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 pm

noddybrian wrote:I'm not formally trained in Tig - so this is just my opinion -

A gas lens will usually give better / more uniform shielding - usually using lower CFH of gas which is expensive & I have to pay for mine ! so I use a gas lens pretty much all the time I'm able to - I see no reason not to - I only use a standard collet body if the physical size of the lens wont fit ( in say a tube cluster joint ) or I'm welding a contaminated material likely to "spit" that will damage the screens of the gas lens - under normal circumstances if the size does hinder torch angle / placement I leave a #7 lens on for everything.

I agree with noddybrain. I use a gas lens unless space will not allow it.
Jimmy
coldman
  • coldman

With a standard collet and cup, the argon flow is turbulent and like a swirl because the argon leaves the collet via holes in the side of the collet body. With increased cfh, the swirl can even draw air in causing contamination so therefore not the best option for outside use. For workshop use it is the most economical in terms of gas consumption. For bigger shield, use a bigger cup.

Gas flow out of a gas lense is laminar allowing higher cfh to be used which makes it ideal to use outside to counter the effects of wind on the shield. It also can provide a greater shield for critical finish items like staino etc.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey, i bought myself some gas lenses for Christmas, they arraived today, never used one before. Seems like a good thing. Definitely makes a difference on the bit of ss tube i played with. :-)

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Everybody should use one but me. I weld outside a lot, wind or no wind. Somehow, I seem to get by without a lens. I have had to turn the gas up before though.

In the shop I can weld aluminum on 10cfh without much issue unless I am really moving along at high amps and then I may turn it up to 15-20 cfh.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't much care either way except for one thing - stick out length.

Being able to stick the tungsten out really far to reach where I need to is awesome.

I don't weld with it out very far normally, but it's nice when I need it :)

I should experiment and see how much gas I can save with one - I run about 17cfh in the shop with a regular set-up.
(That's with the flow measured at the torch tip, not what the meter reads)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.