Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Trying to figure out how he lays out beads like these. I figure there are ways to make beads standup more. Mine tend to standup less as I struggle to wash the puddle between pieces and move along but without undercut. It looks as though he runs these consecutively, maybe with a very fast pulse. I'm not sure what's going on, but this is definitely bead control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPgsXwgQkQ
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Years of hood time, and a fine machine.

When you do the same thing every day for years, you'll get good at it.

Steve S
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Yes Steve, I must agree, this boys been doing this a while, and has got it all figured out. Here's another take on the same manifold. Note the dramatic differences in thickness of the pieces. Toward the end of the video there are a few frames that reveal his feed timing and amount of rod being fed. A lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6BVMANvW0
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

In the video, he appears to be using 3/32 filler rod (for the extra control of puddle size, I assume), but I've noticed even with 1/8" filler, it always feels like I'm feeding at least twice as much rod as I would for a similar weld on stainless. I suppose that's due to the naturally larger puddle on an aluminum weld.

Steve S
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

If you notice his technique he dips twice on each pause. Its a fun technique you get very large coins and big spacing, you have to weld kinda cold to do it and have your balance and gas flow just right. If you dont because of the slow travel speed you will actually etch your weld behind you. Also the type of rod affects bead profile, no clue what he uses, although in one video he mentions he is into color matching so I am sure its kind of 5000 series filler. Either way he is a amazing aluminum welder. I would love to be able to do what he does.
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

he uses a dynasty 350 wich is pretty much the same as the dynasty 700 i use everyday at work. the machines are amazing in all aspects on AC.... i think they are one of the best machines out there. if you know how to set it to do what you want, anything is practically achievable. i know filler wire, technique and tunsten add in the equation as well, but i think the machine is alot of it as well!
ajlskater1

Ha nice I have a 700 to at work as well as 4 350s. The machines are awesome I really like being able to change the ac waveshape. I honestly never usually go over 200 on the frequency, I have only used 400 a handful of times. I would like know what tungsten he runs. I use 2 percent thoriated in all non x ray stuff on x ray I still like pure. I have never got to try sone of the new tri mix tungstens.
nova_70_383

my work place only buys 2% ceriated (orange stripe). i myself for at home i like A3 randnor (purple stripe). i never got to try 2% lanthanated yet. at work the red thoriated doesnt hold up for the high amps we use...
ajlskater1

I agree I hate 2 percent thotiated, they ball up very well.
nova_70_383

thoriated wouldnt ball for me... it just go irregular and jagged. i agree ajlskater1, i dont go above 200hz. 150 is mostly the "tightest" i run the freqency unless im welding a die or something where i just need to put a very pin point dot on something...
ajlskater1

Haha yep 2 percent thoriated make some goofy shapes on ac. I had one that almost made a perfect pitch fork lol. How fo those e3 work? Are they expensive?
nova_70_383

the E3 dont really cost any more then the others. my local airgas has them in stock. the tip of the point balls nice but dont melt back to a big "tootsy pop"! i have had good luck with arczone sky blue as well. not quite as good as E3, but still good.