Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I am not the most hands stable guy out there. One reason I like walking the cup is that there is a constant good/solid prop for the torch. I tried something different tonight while welding some stainless....... whole doing the typical stop/dip technique instead of just letting the torch just hang there I put the cup down against the weld........sort of hopping it.............anyone ever do this ???
BDoubleU

Yes - this can be a helpful technique to improve stability. I try to position the tungsten so the cup can bump or rest on the work without getting into the puddle. I also agree with your comment on walking the cup - it provides operator stability so you can get consistent welds, all day long. I use whatever technique works for the job - and have even positioned clamps to rest on for added stability, especially when welding in an odd position or overhead.
weldfusion.com
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I often teach people how to weld like that. I will get them to rest the cup on the joint or on a starter plate at the end of one, ready, aim, fire. Then advance them one tack on tack at a time until they get a rythm.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I find sometimes the friction of the cup on the joint causes it to move in a jerky action, so unless i can slide along the metal and not the joint, i tend to slide my hand along instead.
I've even attacked the bench with the grinder to give me a smooth surface to do this.