Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jandb150
    Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Im having issues with overheating the work, super fast. Im using 3/32 red tung, amps set to about 70. its an intake elbow for a diesel truck and is made of super thin aluminum about 1/16" or less. Basically, no sooner than I light up, within seconds the alumi starts to distort and puddle like solder. machine is set to Auto for the A/C balance. Any help would be great..
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Not sure what kind of machine you are running but at my work when I am welding .062 al. (1/16") Ihave the amps set to about 150, a 2:1 on the dcep and dcen, usally like to run the balance on 65 to 70 but that is kinda more determined by how clean the material is, and then freq just depends on what type of weld you are doing. For butt welds or outside corner joints I will run about 125 to 200 freq, on lap and t joints i will run 200 to 400 just depending on the situation. I run a number 4 defuser cup usually around 25 on the reg. The biggest tip I can gave for welding thin aluminum is weld fast, low and slow does not work for thin aluminum the heat builds up to fast. One thing that might help you out is to drop down to 1/16 tungsten, thats what I use when I am welding like .030 and .040, but I know some the guy at my shop weld .062 with them and make some nice welds.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

o btw one other little trick that works really well is manually pulse the foot pedal as you are dipping the rod. Or set up a pulser feature if your machine has it and that will do the same thing as manually doing it. I manually pulse a lot on .030 and .040 when the customer does not want bleed through on the back side of the weld.